Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Exclamation Where's My Instrument Lights?

Hi All,
We've had our '73 914, 2.0 since '99. Defenately a keeper. Fun car, minimum rust. Anyway, the instrument lights never did work from day one. Low priority in the list of what it would take to be able to drive it around the block - or to work after repairs & see if it leaks...
Well, the instrument lights still don't work. & NO it's not a fuse - or a tumor! I'm no electrician. What should I do???
Old 10-10-2003, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check fuse #9 again. Twist the knob on the headlight switch to see if the dimmer is cranked down all the way.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-10-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I appreciate that Dave...Did I mention "since'99?" You know me; my credit card ends in xxxx. Oh my god, my c/c is burnin'!!! Seriously, I'm thinkin' about buying one of them there PP headlight switches. Or maybe a NOS fuse box. Or both. I don't know. Maybe I just bite the bullet & take it to an auto electric repair kinda place.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the fuse is good, then a likely culprit is the rheostat that's burned out in the headlight switch. If you're lucky than a wire just came loose somewhere. If you pull out the switch so you can get a voltmeter on it you can find out if there's 12V getting to it, and if the rheostat is dropping the voltage fed to the lights. If you don't have a clue about basic electricity than maybe the repair shop is your best bet to getting it fixed. I suppose all the bulbs could be burned out but that seems unlikely.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. Can't I just install a new headlight switch?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by D7N7MASTER
Thanks. Can't I just install a new headlight switch?
If you want to, you can bring it by here tomorrow during the day and I will take a look at it for you. I used to work for Auto Electric in Fullerton. I may be able to find your problem and fix it for you. Give me a call tomorrow during the day. 714-318-3889

Scott

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-10-2003, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: