Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb RE: Rear Wheel Bearing Tech Article

I don't post much but I check the forum daily. But I thought this might be worth the time. This is in regards to the rear wheel bearing tech article on Pelican by Gill Paszek. First, this is a great article and saved me time and money by doing it myself. I did things just as he said (well almost) and it worked fine. While burning the midnight oil working on my 914 racer I thought I'd go ahead and put in some wheel bearings. I had just finished up doing the needle bearing trick to the rear arms and was feeling brave. So now I will get to the point. I did not have everything I needed to do the job as described so I improvised. It was 2 am and I had too much caffeine flowing through my veins so off to my 914 graveyard I went. To knock the hub out I did have the right size socket and did that. To get the bearing out (2 inch od socket in article) I cut down a front suspension crossmember (the part that the a-arms bolt to) from a 914 to about 10 inches. This was just the size needed to knock the bearing out from inside the arm. My next "deviation" was to press the bearing back into the arm. This calls for a 3 inch od pipe or socket which I didn't have. So back out to the graveyard. Discovered that a 914 headlight motor case is the same size as the wheel bearing. I disassembled the motor then drilled out the nose to put a large bolt in it. This was just to give me a larger surface to tap on. Worked like a charm. My final trick was on pressing the hub into the bearing. Still needed a 2 inch od socket that I didn't have and my crossmember pipe was too long. So I put the old bearing in a vise and knocked out one side of the center race. I used this on the 1/2 inch threaded rod on the inside of the arm and put a strut plate washer over it for another perfect fit. This post will make a lot more sense after reading the tech article. Sorry for the long post but thought I better do it while I still remember how. This way I can refer back to it also.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Clubracr,

You did damn good work. Inovation, determination, persistance, that's what it's all about.

Phil
Old 10-11-2003, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
pressing bearings

Another very simple way to press bearings (of all types) that people tend to forget...

1) freeze bearing set for many hours.
2) heat hub with simple torch. Get it pretty toasty but not hot enough to melt rubber seals etc.
3) bearing will mostly slide in with a slight effort and you dont have to beat the hell out of it and possibly damage the bearing.
4) wait for items to equalize.
03-M3
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/castlesteve/
Old 10-13-2003, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "wait" is about 3 seconds. You have to push the bearing in all the way the first time, because you won't get a second chance....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I think just to play it safe, I will have mine done. Anyone with suggestions on where to take both trailing arms and hubs and bearings to get them pressed in around Orange County??

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-14-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: