Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gas line confusion

Ok, I'm hooking up my carbs and I "thought" that one of the lines was the out going(supply) gas line and the other one was a return line(a line I thought i didn't need to use once I hooked up carbs). I hook up the one that I thought was the supply line and gas comes running out of the second line....so I switch them thinking I had them mixed up. Once I switched them I fill up the tank and gas comes running out of the second line. Should it be doing that or do I need to block one of the lines? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Another thought I just had....could I use a "two-to-one" hose and go straight to the fuel pump from there?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Block off the line you dont use.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-11-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply...I blocked of the extra line.

Now I seem to be having a problem getting gas from the fuel pump to the carbs. I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank and the fuel pump is getting electricity...but it is not pumping anything through. Its a brand new pump and filter and it was working on my previous car....could it be that air go stuck in there?
Old 10-11-2003, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Switch to the other line, you are pulling from the return line.

75 Slantnose V8
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-11-2003, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ah, ok...I'll try that. One of the lines is bigger than the other...I figured the smaller one was the return line and the bigge one was the supply line. I'll swith them around and see what happens....thanks again.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I switched hoses and still no gas from the fuel pump.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think there might be a problem with the fuel pressure. Each time I switch the line the presure gets transfered to the hose that I block...and the line that I have hooked up to the fuel pump has air in it. When I was trying it before I had the gas cap off with five gallons of gas in it. I put the gas cap on and still there is air in the line. Is 5 gallons not enough?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Five gallons is more than enough. The supply line is the fatter one, there is a metal mesh "sock" filter over the top of its inlet in the tank.

If you got gas coming out of the lines before, then you should have gas getting from the tank to the pump.

Is the pump hooked up correctly? You could be hooking up the fuel tank line to the outlet, in which case you'll be pumping air into the line. Also, some pumps run backwards when you have the electrical connections reversed.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-11-2003, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dave, thanks for the input. I have the fatter line hooked up now. The pump worked on the previous car. Is there a connection or wire to the gas tank that should be plugged in that I check? When I switch the wires on the fuel pump I either get the fuel pump running or nothing at all, how do I check if it is hooked up backwards?
Old 10-11-2003, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
It sure sounds like you have it in backwards and it is pumping back into the tank. Turn it around and try it.

75 Slantnose V8
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-11-2003, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm using the 3lbs rotary pump from CBPerformance. Right now its hooked up with the wire terminals facing up towards the carbs...Is anyone familiar with this pump and the direction it is supposed to go. I will try reversing the direction and see what happens. Thanks again.

CoryB
Old 10-11-2003, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the results.

75 Slantnose V8
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-11-2003, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

OMG, IT WORKS...AND ITS RUNNING! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 10-12-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
How'd you fix it?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-12-2003, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Bad connection on the positive wire going to the fuel pump and the positive/negative were backwards in the first place. THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE HELP I haven't drivin this car in a more than a year.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: