Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Metric VS Standard

Help!!! - This appears to be a clearance issue. I need a 1/4" smaller diameter oil filter for it to clear the cross bar. The Mahle OC 28 oil filter that fit before, doesn't fit now that I installed a sandwich adapter. Interference with the cross bar. After I paniced, I decided to improvise. The oil filter a grabbed off the shelf (PH3950) has the req'd 2 5/8th O-Ring Dia. and it's a smaller dia. filter. When I installed the filter it screwed on fine. I didn't notice any problems. Hand tight. Started the car, idiot light went off, I shut it off & checked the leaks. None. Topped off oil & re-started. Let it idle for 5 minutes. Checked for leaks. None. That was yesterday. Today I searched for info on the oil filter I installed & found that it has 20mm threads. Uh Oh... The threads on the sandwich adapter are (universal) 13/16"-16tpi. They must be very close to each other. So here's my question; should I install a different filter w/ (universal) 13/16"-16tpi. threads before I drive the car? Has anyone ever had a oil filter blow off under pressure due to metric confusion? Thanks,
Old 10-12-2003, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

IMHO,
Mahle Filters are the filters to use in P-Cars. The new 'Porsche' filters are not as good as the Mahles. If the PH3950 fails or comes loose, so much for a TIV motor.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm lookin' for a K&N with the diameter of the ph3950 & standard threads.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hmmm, your 13/16 would convert to 20.638mm. Considering that the thread that is cut in those oil filters most of the time is pretty ****ty and due to the lack of thickness in the sheet metall a potential difference in pitch probably does not matter.
With otherwords ... I think in terms of mounting the thing you are set!
What I do not know is if the internals (valve ...) of the filter you picked are a suitable replacement for the one that was intended to be used for this engine.

Patrick
Old 10-12-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
CORRECTION: I mis-stated the problem. The "diameter" of the filter is not the problem. The "height" of the filter is the issue. If the MAhle filter were an inch shorter it would fit.

I found a Fram web site that has a "WARNING" about 20mm and 13/16"-16tpi interchangability. It says DON'T DO IT!!! So I'm not gonna drive it until I resolve this issue. 'Til now, I've always used Mahle OC 28 oil filters on this engine. However, I don't know the operating characteristics of the Mahle filter. Anybody know where I could research this info? I just need a "shorter" filter. I tried to find the Mahle web site to get specs on the OC28 filter but had no luck. Anybody know a good oil filter cross reference, operating characteristics web site??? Thanks,
Old 10-13-2003, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: