Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

heating system, stock car

Y'all,

Well my 914 is finally running and breatheing fire. Man I LOVE THIS CAR! I better after two rebuilds in 6 months and 2200 miles *>(

My question is with the heating and fresh air system. Now I've got one of those drivers side heat blower only set ups. When I drive the car and turn the heat on it ONLY enters that cabin on the passengers side, UNLESS you pipe it theough the dash and then you get a little heat love for the driver.

What is going on and how can I pipe that heat evenly over the driver and passenger?

Also how do you kill the fresh air? My vent is on nomatter where I possition the slider. With the heat not getting to my side and the vent on this little car is damn cold in the morning. . .

Thanks for the suggestions.
Ian
Old 12-29-1999, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are two paths for the air to flow with the 914 heating system, which is very similar to most other Porsche/VW cars and buses of that time frame. The fan in the engine compt should have a flex hose going to a "Y" connection then to each air inlet that goes through the sheetmetal to the headers. Then there are two heater boxes, two flapper valves, two flex ducts then on to the front. You might be missing the flex duct to the driver's side and the "Y" fitting. You can get a section of ducting at PP or any VW parts house and I'm not sure if they have the "Y" fitting. If you can't find one, get a large PVC Tee at a home supply store and use that instead (as I had to do) and you can paint it black so it won't stand out so much. Good luck.
Old 12-29-1999, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ian,
Check the driver's side underneath the car to make sure the heater flapper box opens when you pull up on the heater control lever in the cabin. You will see that this box gets heavily oxidized (i.e. rusted) and is prone to failure. There is also a short 3" flex tube that connects the heater flapper box to a duct running inside the frame to the front left kick panel area behind the stock speaker. If this flex tube is missing, most of the heat will exit to the ground. Sounds like the set-up on the right side is operating normally if you are getting heat from the passenger side.
Old 12-29-1999, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
The fresh air door on the cowl mounted fresh air mixer could be 1.stuck 2. blocked by leaves (as on my car) 3. or the control cable may not be working. When I reinstalled my air mixer I added a piece of window screen under cowl slots to keep the leaves out. (as porsche did on the later cars) I think thats what eventually caused the fan to fry.
Old 12-29-1999, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: