Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Ok, is this a 1.8?

I'm trying to buy a 1.8L motor and I'm asking sellers for the engine number and couple of pics of their motors. Apparently it's harder than it seems to provide this info. I finally got a pic from one seller (but no engine number) - can someone tell if this is a 1.8L from a 914?

Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

From this front shot 1.7 give us a side shot my mind might change! hard to be conclusive not enough details revealed.

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 10-16-2003, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks. It's the only pic he sent me. I'll ask him again for the engine number.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
brain (ECU) does not look like a 1.8 L-jet brain. my guess is it's a 1.7
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 10-17-2003, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I agree, this is not a good picture to tell from, it could be a 2 liter from this angle.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-17-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
intake air distributor does not look like a 2.0L as throttle body does not come out of the top but comes out sideways (horizontal). guess is it's a 1.7. there is a little plug in the center of the fan also makes me think it's an early motor. 1.7 was early, 1.8 was later & didn't have pointy plug
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 10-17-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Jeez, I can't even see that much detail!!! It looks as if it doesn't have the Bus dipstick tube coming out of the fan shroud, but I can't tell for sure!

The blobl in the middle could be the oil filler neck, or it could be the stand in the middle of the engine for the 1.7 air cleaner. The 1.8 air cleaner bolted onto a bracket over on the left intake runner pipes.

Don't see any intake boots or air cleaner at all. No AFM if it's a 1.8, no MPS if it's a 1.7, so it doesn't exactly have the whole FI system on it. Also note that the 1.8 needs the double relay and resistor pack that hang off of the battery tray...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-17-2003, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It has a side shifter cross bar if that makes a diff
Old 10-17-2003, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think that you will be able to tell from this picture.

I have a 1.8 & everything looks the same as mine but what you need to see if it is a 1.8 is the air cleaner. This does not appear to be in the picture. It would be on the right top side of your photo because you are looking at the engine from the fron of the car & the air cleaner is just behind the driver's seat.

Another way to tell would be to see where the tempurature sensor is loacted. You might ask this guy selling the engine. It should be located on the passenger side of the engine (left on your photo) and screws into the head just belo the intake manifolds. I believe the 1.7 & 2.0 are in completely different place.

Ask him for a pic of the air cleaner anyway. On the 1.8, a major part of the fuel injection system (air flow sensor) is in the air cleaner & you will need this part to complete your engine. This could be expensive if your engine dosent come with it.

Hope this helps............................Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 10-17-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Alfred - If you need a 1.8 long block, I have one. Since you don't accept emails, I can't PM you. Can post images and give you engine number later today.

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 10-18-2003, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Ron,

Thanks for the offer but I need a complete 1.8 including all the cooling tin. There is a guy close to me (cheap shipping) who says he wants to sell me his 1.8 but he's always slow to get back to me ... it's been dragging out for a few weeks now and I still haven't gotten the engine number or pics from him so I'm keeping my options open.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tidybuoy
Another way to tell would be to see where the tempurature sensor is loacted. ... It should be located on the passenger side of the engine (left on your photo) and screws into the head just belo the intake manifolds. I believe the 1.7 & 2.0 are in completely different place.
Nope, it's in the exact same place on all of the injected 914 engines.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-18-2003, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: