Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First gear syncro repair problem?

I followed the Pelicans rebuld for first gear and seem to have a problem. Getting the end plate and gears off was not a problem.. It was getting the end plate back on that was a problem.

The end plate is on but I cannot shift into any gear. I could with the plate off with no problems. I feel this problem has to deal with the reverse gears. Keep in mind it took hours to get the darn thing on!

I tried putting the car in 1st, in reverse, and neutral. Still nothing.

Now, with that said, what should I do to resolve this. The transmission is still in the car. Would it be better to pull the whole tranny out or keep it in? It just seems to be the reverse gears giving the problems. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

oh, its a side shift..

Thanks,

Barry Broome

Last edited by nyum96; 10-17-2003 at 06:29 PM..
Old 10-17-2003, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
To tired to think and answer tonight - will give an answer tomorrow...

James
Old 10-17-2003, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Side shift - that makes it easier.

Keep the tranny in the car. You will need to remove the rear cover. If you haven't already, get some heavy duty grease to help you re-install reverse.

Once you have te tail cover back off, try to select all gears. You should be able to select all gears with the cover off before you go any farther.

If not, most likely the tranny was in a gear and you placed the rear cover on. If this is the case, look at my tranny article from section 3, 6th paragraph which starts with "The hard part".

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/

Just curious - are any other gears grinding? If so, you could yank the gear stack and fix them now.

James
Old 10-18-2003, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Oh I forgot - the grease.

I haven't updated the article yet, but get the high temp grease and use it to glue all of the reverse gear group together when you put it in the tail cover, except for the last washer with the cut out. Use grease to "glue" it to th eintermediate plate. Makes reassembly much much easier.

James
Old 10-18-2003, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the Help! Your article helped me grasp the concept of the nasty thing. I slept on the problem and had some ideas. Needless to say, they didnít work.

Here is what I did. I was playing with the gears again and noticed how I torque the 30mm nut. I've torque it first in neutral, reverse, and first. Today I tried 5th because that gear was giving me trouble. All the gears worked, or close to it thinking it was just the new syncro. I put the plate back on, on the first shot! I've figured this concept out! The reverse gears and bushings didnít even fall out and I was able to place that "special" washer on the first try. Once I installed lifted the tranny inch by inch, I noticed that I was loosing gears. I lost reverse, 2nd, and 5th. This was once I rebolted the tranny on.

With the end plate off, I can get all gears!

At this point, I needed to do something so I could justify my work, so I sanded and repainted my exhaust headers. Those exhaust screws can get rusty!

So, I was looking into putting a new clutch in and replacing the leaky front seals. I was going to wait on this project until the cold winter months but now I'm considering dropping the tranny.

With this in mind, would it be better to figure the problem out with the tranny in or out of the car?

With the gears not engaging, would the problem be before or after the intermediate plate? Meaning 1st and reverse side or 2nd thru 5th.

I havenít had any problems with 2nd thru 5th grinding. I believe my problem is combined with a worn (at least 15 years old) clutch and worn syncro. The dog teeth looked ok. The edges were not worn. It looked fine to me.

The PO replaced all bushings and it helps. I've owned the car for only 3 years. The car shifted fine with a tight clutch cable so no constant grinding. I just wanted to fix the leaks and syncos first, before the clutch.

Tomorrow, I will try the high temp grease. Tonight I will rethink my decision on pulling the tranny. With the gears not engaging, is it related to the first gear or reverse gear?

Would the end plate go on with the reverse gear not properly engaged with the rest?

Thanks for your help.. I can tell you've shared my pain. It a humbling experience
Old 10-18-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'm confused.

After you put the rear cover on, were you able to select all gears?

James
Old 10-18-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

At one point, I was. Some were hard to get in but I was. It was only when I lifted the tranny up and bolted it on. When I checked every inch on the way up. I started loosing the gears with-in and inch on rising. Itís very confusing, I know. Sorry!

I guess I didnít get all gears before I lifted it up but it clicked in each gear like it was grabbing.

So the problem is within installing the cover plate. Since I got all gears with the plate off, I didnít mislodge anything, right?
Old 10-18-2003, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Did you remove the speedo drive before installing the rear cover?
Old 10-18-2003, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That may be it. I removed just the drive angle but I couldnt figure out how to remove the whole shaft. That crossed my mind at the very end of today but I was too frustrated. Would something this small cause the gears not to slide?
Old 10-18-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Yes, you need to remove that from the rear before putting the end cover on.

There is a small screw that holds it in place.

WARNING!

When re-installing this screw, it is torqued to three (3) ft-lbs.

James
Old 10-18-2003, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I removed it but I still couldnt get the mechanism out. WHEN i DID remove the screw, AA was suppose to replace that screw but instead of replacing it,they siliconed it up and reinserted it. It was also a little loose when I removed it. I think the last person that touched it might of stripped it. That would ecplain the silicone gasket in the treads. Is there a cure for that? Maybe cross my fingures and retap it? So, would the speedo being still inserted, I have a good chance of maybe fixing my problem? Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: