Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kunz
Window regulator nightmare!

I asked some questions on this before, but no one responded, so here we go again....

After my 10th (?) attempt to reinstall my left door window regulator (late style), I am starting to think that there has to be something wrong! Everytime I get closed to finish and test the operation of the regulator, the two halves of the regulator pop apart at the pivot pin. I can't figure out if the thing is just way out of adjustment forcing the pieces to separate or if maybe the pivot pin is shot.

Has anyone had any experience in assembling the regulator back into the door? Should the two halves of the regulator easily come apart or is this a sign of a worn pivot pin? I had considered buying a new pin, but am not sure which one to get as most catalogs list two lengths of pins in two different orientations. I'm clear on the orientation (my slots are parallel), but the lengths for the replacement parts don't seem to match what I have.

At any rate, if I have to replace the pin, what's the procedure, as it seems to be press fit into the arm.

Would appreciate any and all help as I am SOL at this point and I just have to figure I am doing something wrong or something is worn/broken and I just don't recognize it.

Thanks!

Mike:
Old 10-18-2003, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mike, maybe it's just worn out and broken. It shouldn't come apart. I don't have one to look at or know the recommended repair. Perhaps press out or drill out the old pin and replace with a short bolt, a couple washers and a nylock lock nut?
Old 10-18-2003, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As notewd, the regulator should not come apart and should operate easily up and down. I'd recommend opening the other door and looking at how it is assembled and yours will be a mirror. If it seems confusing take a digital pict or two and the reverse them 180 degrees to get the other door. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kunz
Thanks for the quick replies...finally I have an idea that the thing is broken....tweeks and performance sell repair pivots...so I am thinking that that might be the solution....not very clear how to press fit them though...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-18-2003, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have one in a replacement door that did the same thing. Seems to me that the pin comes from the factory peend (sp) over to hold the two halves together. There may be a way to fix the one you have if there is enough material to peen it. If that doesn’t work you could drill & tap the pin & use a bolt to hold the two halves together.

73 2.0
Old 10-18-2003, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This is what they look like. Looks peened/staked to me.

73 2.0
Old 10-18-2003, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: