Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Level Question

Hi,

I have a question about the oil level. I put in as much oil as the manual calls out (7.4 pints with a new filter). There are two marks on the dip stick. After I put in the oil and run the the engine to fill up the new oil filter the dip stick shows the level to be just below the bottem mark with the egine off. There is no writting on the dip stick so I don't know if this correct. This is the dip stick that came with the car so I don't know if it is even the correct one. After the car sits for a hour the reading is now at the bottem line. The engine is a 1972 1.7L.

Thanks, Chris.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I just put in four quarts. It reads a bit over the top line that way. This is not a bad thing for the car--the oil level isn't high enough for the rotating parts to hit it, and it gives you a tiny bit more oil in the sump for when you go around turns.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-19-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I do the same as Dave with the same result, slightly over full.
I believe the difference between the lines is 1 quart. 7.4 pints, 3.7 quarts should still be at least halfway with a cold engine. You either have the wrong stick or possibly you are not getting it all the way in. It is easy to reach a "stop" before the stick is fully seated in the tube.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Let the car sit for at least 15min. prior to checking the oil level or it will read lower than actual.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: