Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
10 yrs already??

transmission problems.

i drove my 72 914 today!!! it only has reverse, 1st and 3rd gear though. it grinds and crunches when i let off the clutch in 2, 4, and 5. any ideas?

-jim-
Old 12-30-1999, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I believe you will find that your shifter linkage is not adjusted right. Start with the shifter improvement section on Pelican http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm

It sound like the linkage under the shifter is too far back on the shifting rod. Your not fully engaging 2 & 4 gear. As for 5th that might be the same thing, but you need to rotate the shifting rod. A little bit of guess and check with the in, out, and rotation of the shifting rod is what worked for me and my friend.
Old 12-31-1999, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Advice on the transaxle, I agree with agent914. Check to see that all the shift tube bushing are in place. But agent914 sounds like he's had a similar experience. Congradulations on the test drive! It must have been exciting for you. Hope your taking lots of photos. Keep going, sounds like things are getting sorted out. How about an update on what you've been doing.
Old 12-31-1999, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
One way to sort of roughly adjust the linkage would be to manually put the transmission in fifth gear and then have someone else in the car with you holding the shift rod up so when the person puts the car in fifth(moves the shifter into fifth) you can slide it on the linkage and then tighten it down. Then you get in the car and shift to see what it feels like. THen it is minor adjusting.

Paul
Old 12-31-1999, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

My dad built up the loose linkage part on the transaxle with the wire feed arc welder at the shop. that helped out a LOT. that and adjusting the shifting correctly. thanks for the help. now i need to replace second gear and the syncro for it. the linkage is all adjusted, and we are going further with second gear than with fourth, but still getting that grinding sound. i've now got all gears but second. any more suggestions on that would be helpful, espesially if it means i don't can send money to tom for appearance stuff instead of go type stuff.

-jim-
Old 01-02-2000, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just an idea, try adjusting the clutch. With my clutch cable out of adjustment I had roughly the same problem. The deal was that I wasnt fully disingaging. Good luck
Old 01-03-2000, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: