Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

front neg camber

anybody know how to get more neg. camber on the front without buying the exspensive camber ball strut adapter? Notch and grind maybe??.bawk......
grinding my tire edges clean off
Doug
Old 12-30-1999, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

For the tires that require a lot of negative camber there are a couple of ways to go: buy one of the aftermarket mounts for the upper strut mount or get a set of modified struts that have about neg 1.5 degrees built in when the upper mount is in the mid position. Either way is $$$$, but I would not recommend any grindind or cutting in the upper mount area. It seems that tires like Hoosiers or BFGs like a lot of neg camber, sometimes more that you can get with the upper mounts. I use Goodyear slicks and there is 0 degrees camber and the tires corner very flat. Good luck.
Old 12-30-1999, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your input john , I have been using Kumho tires and they stick good but they wear on the edges.I thought that more neg camber might help, the car has almost no body roll but who knows how much everything is flexing,bending and twisting.I have a crack in my windshield that changes direction every month we change track direction at the time trials, kind of an SSS patern now.
Doug
Old 12-31-1999, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, those tires need as much or more than the others. I would go with the different struts that can give about neg 2 degrees with the adjustment in the middle. It makes it harder on tires on the street though, but you could take a lot of it out when the racing is done. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2000, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

what makes the Kumho tire require more neg camber than the Goodyear? sidewall stiffness maybe?...
Old 01-03-2000, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, the side wall has a lot to do with it I guess. The Goodyear slicks are 9 in wide on a 7 in wide rim and have a super stiff side wall. The tire tech at the shop hates to have to mount them and they really make the machine groan! Most radial DOT legal racing tires need a lot of negative camber. The only way to tell the right amount is with a tire temp reader or pyrometer and try to get the temps even across the surface with no roll over on the edges. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2000, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: