Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to abe914
opinions wanted

How does one pick the size of carbs to use?
32's, 38's, 40's, 45's, etc.
Going on a 2.0L 4cylinder.
Buy what's available at the time?
What ever is a good deal?
What information about the engine governs what carb size?
Thanks for any input.
Houston in Louisiana
Old 01-07-2000, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Oh...you will got some opinions here...you betcha!

The carb size SHOULD be what the engine can handle. But most engine/carb applications I've seen are way too big. If you have a stock motor with a stock (FI) cam stay with the FI if you can. If you absolutely positively have to go with carbs, the 40 Webers are good, with an 050 distributor (dizzy).

Make sure you have the Haynes Weber book, plenty of jets and a way to sync the carbs...BTW, you do not get an increase in performance with carbs unles you split the case and put in a carb profile cam. Plus in some States it is illegal to remove them. But only if you are caught and/or you need to pass smog inspections to be able to register your car.

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 01-07-2000).]
Old 01-07-2000, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
I purchased my '73 2.0 from the PO with dual Weber 44 IDF's, Euro P&C's, and a Web Cam profiled for carbs. I replaced the 009 distributor with a 050 for better drivability. Sure, it hauls with balls and idles relatively tame around 900-950 RPM once warmed up; this is in a car equipped with A/C.

Notice I said, " once warmed up". Until then, she's crankier than a 40-year-old whore at dawn. The topic has pretty much been covered ad nausea concerning "Carbs VS. FI" and the 2.0. But the science is still Trial and Error. Believe me; for the street, FI is the way to go (or stay) when dealing with 914 2.0s.

I'm building up another 2.0 with as much big bore P&C's, head work, and (hydraulic) cam that will effectively work with an intact stock FI system I have tucked under my workbench. I'm researching this and will build my 2.0 accordingly.
Old 01-08-2000, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Sorry to take the subject on a detour, but has any one thought about addapting CIS off of a VW Rabbit?
Old 01-08-2000, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to abe914
Thanks guys,
Question was one of what size carbs.
The '75 '14 is and will stay FI'ed.
The kit car with the 914 engine and chassis, will be carbed. I want this thing to have a bit more power than the '14.
Going hydraulic, probably 78mm crank, etc.
Have had opportunities to buy several different sizes and manufactures, was just
trying to get a ball-park figure.
Thanks.
Houston in Louisiana (no smog or any of that to worry about here, hence the wonderful quality of the environment)
Old 01-08-2000, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Ooops, you mentioned hydraulic lifters...."I" would not do it...BTDT. ask me why, offline...
mtz1@home.com
Old 01-08-2000, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey I thought you said those carbs were going on a 2.0 liter engine! Ha-ha! Not with a 78mm stroke! Anyway as mentioned before 40's will be fine on a stock 2.0 but you do need a cam for some more oomph. I am running 44's on my 2.3 and they run great. Now getting them to that point is another story (playing with various jets, venturi's, emulsion tubes, etc...) You do have to let the engine warm up or they will cough. Once warmed up (about 10 min here in N.C. right now) they run smooth all the way around. Don't get me wrong I think the 2.0 F.I. is an awesome setup for the street and let's not even talk about the fuel economy difference. Then again I am on it all the time now that I have some power! By the way I love my hydraulic WEB-CAM!!!! Smooth idle, good power, and hell 15 feet away from the car sometimes you can't even tell it's running. Anyway opinions, opinions. I have other type 4's with solid lifter cams in them and don't have any complaints. This is my experimental motor and I just happened to have fell in love with it. Ha-ha! Anyway if you call CB Performance they will give you starting points for idle and main jet sizes, venturi's, emulsion tube sizes, accelerator pump jet size, etc... for whatever size engine and carb combination you have. Just some info, Ian
Old 01-08-2000, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: