Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to ViolentBlue
914 tranny for rear engine application

I have a 914 engine and tranny, I bought the engine for use in my bug, and since I got the tranny too, I wondered if there was a way to modify it for use in a rear engined application.

I know that 911 trannys can be modified for use in mid engine applications, so thought it should be possible to do the reverse with a 914 tranny.

any comments suggestions?
Old 01-08-2000, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Yeah, you can. The 914 trans is really a 901 trans that was used in the early 911s. You have to flip the ring gear to make it turn the right way, otherwise you will have five reverse gears...

The mounts and shift linkage may be a pain, but if you are doing the work and have the time...go for it....I would not have a shop do it, too much $$$.
Old 01-08-2000, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There are two problems with using a 914 tranny for rear engine applications such as in a beetle. One has already been mentioned (ring and pinion) which of course can be flipped. The other is figuring out a way to shift it, which probably can be done but it would take some engineering. I have an early 911 tranny (with a limited slip diff)which is essentially the same as mentioned before as a 914 tranny in my VW squareback. The tranny was pretty easy to install (there are some companies that make kits for this installation into beetles, check VW mags). I changed the output flanges on the tranny to 914 flanges using 914 CV joints on the inside of the squareback axles (the distance was just about right on), the shifter comes out of the bottom of the nose on the 911 tranny instead of the top like a beetle so I had to fabricate a different shift tube, and last but not least I fabricated a bracket to bolt the tranny where the original tranny was. Now one thing I must tell you is I also put a type 4 motor with a cam and dual carbs behind this tranny not that this should affect much. Let me know if you have any more questions, Ian.
Old 01-08-2000, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I thought about using my spare tail shifter in my one of 57 oval's. I have two of them. (both projects) One of them is on a 71 IRS pan. The axles would be adaptable but the transaxle is way longer and bigger round. The entire mounting on the bug pan would have to be chopped out and redesigned to accommidate the size of the transaxle, and still allow the engine to hang off transaxle and modified mount. Not impossible but alot of work.

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 01-08-2000).]
Old 01-08-2000, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ViolentBlue
thanks for the info, havent decided what I'm going to do yet, but at least I have an idea of what I'm up against
Old 01-08-2000, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
My friend had a 914 2.0L in his supper bettle, and ended up using a bus trans. Seemed to work pretty well, once he stopped poping wheelies and breaking things.

FATS performance has some T-4 into Bettle conversion stuff.

I agree the early 911 901 tranny would be better suited than a 914 901.
Old 01-08-2000, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: