Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to MidMike
Clutch Time

The snow is flying and my 74 914 is setting all cozy in the garage. Last year the 1.8 ran the best in its 6years with me but low and behold due to a rear main seal leak the clutch began to slip and I was unable to get those very few horses to the ground. Any additional tips besides what P.P. has to offer in it,s great Tech article?

------------------
Old 01-02-2000, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Be sure to lube the pilot bearing. I don't remember the Pelican article mentioning that. It also a good time to check all the easy stuff... fuel lines, trans mounts, FI gaskets, sensors, wiring, even valve adjustment...they are easier done when the engine is out than in.
Old 01-02-2000, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Brian, is there a write up anywhere that you know of describing the procedure to pull the trans without the motor? I can see how to do it kind of, but everyone I have talked to and everything I have read says to pull them together. I have an intermittant oil leak that looks like it may be coming from the rear seal area (?) and will be pulling it apart soon to take a better look. It's a very small leak, but it's bugging me. What are the sectret tricks to pullimg the trans without the motor? Thanks.

Last edited by turbo2.0; 01-31-2008 at 12:13 PM..
Old 01-02-2000, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree with Brian but, I disconnect the muffler and move the transmission straight back. This keeps the engine level and prevent the breaking of the front motor mounts.
Old 01-02-2000, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Gerald,

The the 914 clutch replcement article ( http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_clutch_replace/914_clutch_replace1.htm ) in Pelican's tech articles section covers in detail how to remove the transmission from the motor while the motor is still in the car,

Alpine
Old 01-03-2000, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You guys are arguing over two, count em 2, bolts just take the engine and all out, it will be easier to put back in.
Old 01-08-2000, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Two bolts... and two fuel lines, the shift linkage, and extra 300 lbs, the fuel injection, getting the motor past the half-shafts, and throttle cable.

It is easier to just pull the tranny. Eight C-V bolts, four (or two if you do it the hard way) rear mounting bolts, four front bolts, the rear linkage, and the cable.
Old 01-09-2000, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the link to PP's how to. That is just what I was looking for, and as usuall for this web site very well written. My only concern now is sitting under a car, pulling on a wrench or breaker bar to get the clutch bolts loose. As common sense and the article dictates, I wil take extra care setting up the jack stands just right. Thanks again.

Last edited by turbo2.0; 01-31-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-10-2000, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: