Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Euro Specs

I have been researching the Euro specs for the 914, (specifically the 74 2.0L 4 cyl FI, with appearance and sport groups and all available factory options) and hope that others can fill in the blanks.

So far I have been able to determine that the differences between a car sold in Europe vs one sold here in the states are:

1. Front turn signal lenses and 2bulb housings (will the same wiring harness work, just separate the wires into 2 bulbs?)

2. Rear tailight lenses

3. Most Euro cars I've seen photos of seem to mostly have the hood crest, black out exterior trim, lack of PORSCHE lettering on engine grille and a rightside mirror. It must have been stock or at least optional, whereas it does not seem to have been offered on US models.

3. Halogen fog lights (what bulbs were spec'd?)

4. 8:1 compression piston/cylinders (100hp)

5. VW/Porsche rear insignia.

6. Has anyone ever seen headlamp washers on a car as the photo in the Haynes book?

8. H4 headlights (what bulbs were spec'd?)

Any other items anyone knows about?
Old 01-04-2000, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know if it helps but from what i've seen the rest of the world cars had a horn button with the wolfsburg crest in the center not the porsche crest.
Old 01-04-2000, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A book I have 'Caught by Camera' shows the black trim on all exterior elements...windshield, side window posts & at back edge of side windows, rear edge roll bar, both side mirrors, radio antenna, F&R bumpers, fog lamp grilles, door handles, everything.

Text describes the 73-74 2.0 4cyl as having the bumpers black. The aluminum pieces could be black anodized but the side mirrors are stainless and would need painting. The door handles are a cast metal...painting.

My original (USA) leather steering wheel has the porsche crest in the middle...
Old 01-04-2000, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The CBC pictures are of several peoples' cars as they currently are.

Early cars, up through 72 at the least, had either body-colored bumpers or chrome. Either 73 or 74 was the first year that the "standard" bumpers were painted black regardless of the body color.

I don't think any of the factory trim (other than the bumpers) was ever blacked-out.

I don't know if it's still there, but on the official Porsche website they had a picture of a European 74 limited-edition car. However, it was on the 75 914 page, and was labeled a 75! Oops... [Later----] Yup, here it is.

>1. Front turn signal lenses and 2bulb housings (will
>the same wiring harness work, just separate the wires
>into 2 bulbs?)

Yes, but you need a divider piece as well in between the two sections. Rich Johnson sells a setup to convert US buckets. Pelican sells the lenses, which are amber/white rather than all-amber like the US ones.

>2. Rear tailight lenses

Also the housings, I believe. I think there were one fewer bulbs (the one one the outside, maybe?). Not completely sure on that...

>3. Most Euro cars I've seen photos of seem to mostly have
>the hood crest, black out exterior trim, lack of PORSCHE
>lettering on engine grille and a rightside mirror. It
>must have been stock or at least optional, whereas it
>does not seem to have been offered on US models.

Brian covered these, and also see my comments at the top.

>3. Halogen fog lights (what bulbs were spec'd?)

I think they were "drving lights", and not foglights. Different lens and/or reflector, possibly H3 bulbs.

>4. 8:1 compression piston/cylinders (100hp)
>
> 5. VW/Porsche rear insignia.

Yup.

>6. Has anyone ever seen headlamp washers on a car as the
>photo in the Haynes book?

Nope. I seem to remember reading that they were very rare and only offered on Swedish-destined 914s. There's something in the back of my head that is saying the passenger's-side mirrors were Swedish as well.

> 8. H4 headlights (what bulbs were spec'd?)

I *think* it was 55W/60W, same as the common ones you get nowadays.

--DD

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 01-05-2000).]
Old 01-05-2000, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the good input.

I also remembered that the speedo was 250kph rather than the 150mph US version...(duhhh)

The text of the CBC book does mention that the 70-72 cars came with bumpers painted in the body color...(anyone ever seen one?)... and then for the 73 and later cars, black painted bumpers were standard as if it were an upgrade...
Old 01-05-2000, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like this topic has been pretty well covered. I came across a guy named Lou Chilson listed on the new 914 Club of No. California website (www.roadglue.com) database who lives in Sao Paulo, Brazil and has a '74 euro spec car. His email address is: lchilson@ensino.net You may want to contact him for some info.
Old 01-08-2000, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now that you've found me, let me list the Euro-spec details as they apply to my specific '74 2.0- which seems to be pretty original- even the spare tire is an unused German Dunlop 165 70 HR 15 "Rayon" on "Black-Maltese-Cross" 5 1/2 J Fuchs. Here, in more boring detail, goes:

1. No side marker lights.
2. Red, amber and white plastic lenses on front and rear turn signal clusters.
3. Rear Fog Light-factory installed. Front Fog Lights have Chromed Plastic (ABS) grille. Bulbs are not Halogen variety.
4. Headlights have original made-in-Germany Osram H4 lamps. No headlight washers, though.
5. Black Bumpers (spatter finish). No bumperettes.
6. Center Console with clock, temp guage (red line way over on the right) and voltmeter.
7. Speedometer in Kilometers, of course. Tach in UPM/RPM
8. "Oil" pressure light reads in English but "Oel" filler cap in German.
9. Gasoline filler cap is round golden metal variety and except for the PCV valve, there is no emissions-control equipment of any sort.
10. Wolfburg Crest embossed on Horn Pad. Previous Owner crazy-glued Porsche Crest (the hood emblem variety) on it. Since removed. Looks pretty bad. Trades considered.
11 Hood Crest amateurishly installed. Denotes not factory original.
12. Golden metal Porsche lettering on engine lid. Possibly installed afterwards.
13. Chrome (actually polished aluminum) trim on sails, windshield, etc.
14. (Infamous) rear VW emblem between "914" and "Porsche" in blackened metal. Black plastic "2.0" emblem just underneath and to right.(Plug- Tom and Wayne recently sold me a more-original metal replacement).
15. Black Vinyl on "sails".
16. No front or rear stabilizers bars.
17. Engine has GB prefix on serial number. GB engines have the 8.0:1 compression ratio piston/cylinder set and according to the books, produce 100 hp at 4500 rpm. Send me a couple of gallons of decent gasoline and I'll tell you if this is true.
18. Both left and right hand rear view mirrors in black . The right-hand door already came with the mounting holes and captive nuts.
The rest is just as described in the 914-4/6 Authenticity Book, so you fellows have really touched on all the points.
The reference book on this matter is certainly "Caught by Camera". You can get it for £3.99 (about $ 6.25 ) from Chater's Books in London. But in true British fashion, the shipping will probably cost three times that!
Happy Euro-specking.
Lou
in Brazil (where gas is corrosive and expensive)
Old 01-09-2000, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 72_914
About the body colored bumpers. In the January 2000 issue of European Car they have a nice article on 914's. They mention that the-

"1974 Limited Edition offered with 2.0L engine, special front spoiler, Mahle wheeles, anti-roll bars,center console and three color schemes- black car with yellow wheels, bumpers, "porsche" side stripes, and lower trim or white car with either orange or green in place of the yellow trim items"

p.50 "Significant 914 Changes Over the Years".

This seems to be what is in the picture above.

[This message has been edited by 72_914 (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old 01-10-2000, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: