Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Boxing in the rear suspension console

Anyone know about boxing in the rear suspension console as in the PCA rule book? Is a kit available for this?

TMK
Old 01-06-2000, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I belive that is boxing-in or strenthening of the rear trailing arms. If thats what it is then all that is, is a sheet metal sheet that wraps around three sides of the rear trialing arm. The sheet has multiple perforated hole in it. This sheet is welded to the rear trailing arm via these perforations and also welded along the perimeter of the sheet, thus stiffening the trailing arm.
Of course they could be talking about the rear chassis stiffening kit which is based on the same principle of the rear trailing arm kit. This goes against the rear suspension console area, mostly from the area closest to the inside wheel well up to the pivot point of the trailing arm.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 01-10-2000, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Mike. I was not thinking of the trailing arm or the chassis kits. The Golden Gate Region of the PCA rulebook "http://www.pca-ggr.org/" page 48 shows the what I am looking at. Has anyone done this?

TMK.

Old 01-10-2000, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Opps..
I was way off on that one.
I've never seen that mod available as a "kit". I'm not too sure of the area for strengthening off hand, I'd have to crawl under my car and compare the drawing to the real thing.
It does not look too hard to fabricate.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 01-10-2000, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mike: I agree not much to fab if you have a welder and someone that can use it. So I am looking for a shop in the south SF bay that can do this now as the motor and trany are out.

TMK.
Old 01-11-2000, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Too bad your car is not driveable,
I have my welder (MIG) and garage setup right now for some work I'm doing to my car.
I live about 45 minutes east of SF.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 01-11-2000, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Ken Mack at Ken's SporTech in Campbell is a time trialer and used to run 914s. (Runs a 911 now.) He will either be able to do it, or will point you to someone who does.

Or you can go to a race shop like Frey Racing in Mountain View. I believe they have a fab shop (Wil-Mac Racing, I think?) in the back. Call to make sure first, though.

--DD
Old 01-11-2000, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave.

TMK.
Old 01-12-2000, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: