Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

MSD Ingitions

I have a 2.0L 73 914 with Dell Carbs, and other engine modifications.
I see many 914's with MSD ignitions, can anyone tell me what the benifit is, and how easy is it to install.

Do you recommend it ?
Thanks

------------------
keith bird
Old 01-11-2000, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
I am also wondering about this option. Which electronic ignition is the best...which has worked the best(Crane, MSD...etc.)?
What are the significant gains in adding it? Where can I order any of these units?

By the way, my car is a '73 2.0l with injection.

Thanks,
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulhagedorn (edited 01-11-2000).]
Old 01-11-2000, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NOTRIGHT
i dont know about the msd but i installed a cran firrball system in my 75 1.8 914
the hard part was picking were to mount the control unit
my car has a carb set up and i dont have a choke on it i hit the gas 1 time and it lights right up cold or hotn it also seems to have a little more zip to it and the rpms seem more stable and it has a lot hotter fire

good luck notright
Old 01-11-2000, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I put a Crane HI-6 from my truck into the 75 2.0L D-Jet. Seemed to run much better at idle and start better (wires, points, coil, and plugs less than 6 months old). On carbed cars I've heard the difference is night and day.

I'm going to put the PS-91 coil on next (have to find my OEM coil for the truck first, moving is a PITA) I read on the Crane web site that the Bosch OEM coil is not compatable with the HI-6, ooops.

Anyone tried the Crane 3000, CDI points conversion? It's only a few bucks more than the 700 and seems to do everything that the HI-6 does plus the points conversion.
Old 01-11-2000, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have used a lot of MSD units on both street and racing cars. They are great. Use a magnetic pickup like compufire or magufire and for a stock 914 you can use a 5A box. These are cheaper than a 6 box and are good to 6000 RPM. You will need to go one step colder on the spark plug but the car will start better and have more "pop" at lower RPM. Your plugs are less likely to foul also. Use good plug wires.
Old 01-12-2000, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I put the XR3000 on my 914 last fall. It has worked flawlessly since. It, however, does NOT have the rev-limit capability that the Hi-6 unit does.
My car is carbed, and it WAS a night / day difference. I think the $115 I spent for the XR3000 unit was one of the best $115 I had spent on the car yet.

My car (73 914, 2.0 carb with Dells) is still for sale. http://www.pelicanparts.com/motorcity/wjdunn3
Old 01-12-2000, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I put the MSD-6 and Compufire units on the 2.5 liter race car and it runs smoother, better idle and burns cleaner at high RPMs. I had to use MSD's capacitor to eliminate the noise on the video system in the car and radio. I also used their transformer to send the signal to the Autometer tach. Finally, you have to make sure that the wires are separated so you do not get any signal jumping at high RPMs. Did I get any more power, probably not and I wasn't looking for any, just smoother running, I would recommend it most definately. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 01-12-2000).]
Old 01-12-2000, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
Ok, another question.
How much are the MSD-6A and 6AL?
Also, installing either of them, do I keep the points and distributor or what? What exactly is replaced/added?
Will I have to reset the timing if I do add the unit?

Thanks for all the responses,
Paul
Old 01-12-2000, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't remember exactly how much they were, I would order from Summit Racing, they are the cheapest (even cheaper than PP, sorry guys). They are online and have an 800 line 24 hrs a day. The Compufire unit was a slip in, remove rotor and points and install new parts. Dwell has no meaning anymore, but check timming, it will be the same as before. I would recommend getting an MSD Blaster hi vibration coil at the same time and also use 8.5mm silicone wires and a new distr cap. I bought a set of silicone 8.5mm wires for a geeneric big block V8 and now have two sets and the rubber tin plugs will fit over the boots. As for the MSD box, it has exacting instructions and they are correct as to how to install it. If you are doing a bunch of autocrossing/racing, I would put in an Autometer memory tach (they fit in the stock hole and an Autometer shiftlight, then you can concentrate on the course/race track. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2000, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

MSD6AL + MSD distributor + MSD wires = smoother engine and controllable rev limiter. AutoMeter's tach with the shift light on the tach will also fit in the stock tach hole. My VDO tach work for a couple of years without the transducer. Then it just did not like the MSD. I have found that by having the shift light I don't have to take my eyes off the track to look at the tach.
Old 01-12-2000, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

what about the simple ignitor, any comments it's only 50 or 60 dlls. and it replaces the problem on adjusting points. and it will go in most distribuitors.
Old 01-12-2000, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I mentioned the Compufire unit earlier, it works great and is cheap.
Old 01-13-2000, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

just popped over from the 11 board.. I put the 6A on my 87 with much success. The 5 and 6 series units are different. The 5 units fires 1 hot spark, the 6x units fire multiple times below say 3000 rpm. the 6a is avail for about $135 from summit. The Crane unit is the same as the 6x (multiple fires) and has the same output coil voltage (400v). the nice thing about the Crane is that it has an adjustable rev limiter built in, where you have to go to chips for the MSD. I think the Crane is bout 160-180.
Old 01-14-2000, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: