Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Amazing...No more clear PPG windshields

Just the other day, I thought I had completed my restoration when I had a clear PPG windshield installed. The installer took real loving care of my car. However, when I got in, we both saw a spot *in* the windshield right in front of my face. The spot looks like a fungus in between the two layers of glass. The installer told me "no problem", we'll get another one in here out of Denver and reinstall it for free.

He called the next day to tell me that there were no more clear PPG windshields available, only ones with that nasty blue tinting stripe, IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY.

I could not believe that I was so lucky as to have gotten the last one so easily out of Denver just a few days earlier, so I called PPG. They searched their database and confirmed that they had no more "Foreign 235" clear windshields.

I was able to find a Safelite brand, but PPG has long been accepted as a quality product. If you don't mind the blue stripe, don't worry, there are plenty. Some say to only use the factory original or PPG, but if you want clear in those brands, you're gonna have to pay. The cost of my PPG (and Safelite) windshield, installed, was $109. The cost of the factory original brand (Sekurit), about $500! I'll let you know if the Safelite pops out or something...
Old 01-13-2000, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Am I understanding correctly? Did the installer replace the PPG yet? If so is there any visual differences you've noticed from the clear PPG to the clear Safelite? Was there any lite shading in either?
No biggie, Just curious.
Old 01-13-2000, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Both seemed plenty clear to me. All windshield glass though has somewhat of a green tint if you look at it out of the car.
Old 01-16-2000, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

From what i hear the only one that fits right in the corners are the ppg ones. the other have a tendancy to leak. I have no personal knoledge of this its just what i remember readign a few years ago.
Old 01-16-2000, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

Pete,

where'd you go to get your windshield installed? i'm in laramie, about an hour north of you, and am in need of a windshield. that price looks worth it to drive the hour to get it installed.

-jim-
Old 01-17-2000, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thats funny to hear.

Appearantly, its the curve of the glass that is the problem with other than PPG/Sigla ($350 Canadian)or Sekurit($750 Canadian)

Two years ago I ran into a rock or it ran into me? I was on the highway, me going one way at about 70 and a gravel truck going the other at what I assume would be 60. I saw the rock, about the size of a walnut, coming. It hit directly in my line of site and the only thing it left for an area about the size of a golf ball was the safety film. The glass that was smashed away was stuck in my knuckles my face my neck and even in the firewall upholstery between the seats. And I still had another five miles to drive to work. I knew what trucking company it was and they paid for it, something about not cleaning the loose stuff off the outside of the box before hitting the road is a fine up here.

Anyways, The only windsheilds we could get here (Victoria, Canada) were PPG/Sigla (glass guy says they are the same company) but I wanted a tinted one, and I got four, two from Colorado and two from back east, all PPG/Sigla. The first one was broken (smashed) when the shop got it. The second had chips around the outside, and the third broke two days after it was installed. I just hopped in my car and as I turned the key to start it I heard a crack and the window broke in two from the VIN plate all the way to the other side???? The forth is in my car now.

The insurance company up here paid $350 for the PPG window and $150 for installation (Canadian) about $350 US.

------------------
CWP/VIR
72 914 L20E 1.9L
73 914 L20E 2.0L

Old 01-17-2000, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: