Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question brake light on dash.

i just put bmw ati front calipers on my 75 2.0. they look almost just like the old ones, but 50% bigger, or so.

it was pretty simple, i blead the brakes and put new ati blue fluid in the system.

i blead the system useing all 6 bleeder screws ,and even did it twice.

the brake light on the dash is on, and im not sure i have all the braking i should.

ive test drove the car and made several stops, even locking up the brakes a couple times to test the prop. ratio.

the front brakes lock up but not the rear.

and the peddle seems pretty soft.

i also already have a 19mm master.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Did you bleed the system until it was all blue coming out? Did you knock the wire off the M/C while you were working on it? Bleed the sytem again at all 4 corners and bleed the top ones after the lower ones.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You did not say if you replaced the prop valve? If you still have it, get rid of it as it is way off now due to the larger front calipers. As skline said make sure you got blue fluid fully from all 4 calipers. Does the 19mm m/c switch have a reset button, if so push it. Good luck
Old 11-30-2003, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 19mm one does have a brake warning switch, and that likely has a reset button on it. Find the button (often/usually covered by a rubber nipple) and press it.

Make sure the handbrake handle is down, as well.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-30-2003, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

no i still have the prop. valve.
i will check for the reset button.
i think it still seems a little week though.
if all else fails ill try removing the prop. valve.

thx .
Old 11-30-2003, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You might try bleeding the proportioning valve, as well. Crack the fitting at the outlet (or are there two outlets? I can never remember!) while someone is holding the brake pedal down. Catch the brake fluid that comes out--it eats paint, which leads to Our Greatest Enemy. (Rust.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Bleed, bleed, bleed, wait a week and bleed again. Somethimes the 914 gods take a while to decide to stop screwing around with ya.....

Signed...."the idjut".....waiting on DDDD to show up at Dunkles.....
Old 12-01-2003, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

yes the 914 gods are very cruel indeed.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

yup dave was right again, it was the small reset button on the m/c warning switch. more like a small pin or nail though.

thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: