Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Gasket sealer for intake system

I recently replaced ALL of the seals in my car's intake system ('76 2.0), but the Porsche mechanic tells me I am still leaking air :<( Apparently I neglected to use a gasket sealer when I put it all back together (and yes, I did use all new seals). I told him my "other" mechanic (i.e. yours truly) works very cheap and always stands by his work. I was sure "he" will re-do the job for nothing! Confirms the old saying, "Do it right and you do it once." Anyway, what do you recommend for gasket sealer at the heads and under the throttle body?
Old 01-22-2000, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I like a spray copper coating for just about everything. Withstands high heat and seals well without migrating.

With intake I used super blue RTV (after covering the intake with several layers or primer and thick paint) on all the intake seam welds and filled the two holes that go through the intake to support it. Dropped my idle down 300-400 RPM.

Also make sure that the tin ware and the CHT wire aren't pinched inbetween the head and the intake tube. BTDT.
Old 01-22-2000, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have to second the copper kote suggestion, naturally with testimony; having used the spray and dauber application form of the product on German and !British! engines--both infamous for weeping oil one way or another, I've yet to discover a leak in either case (accidental pun). Just seems to work.
Old 01-22-2000, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: