Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Replacing a throttle cable

My accelerator pedal has started to squeak and I can feel resistance. There is no obvious problem at the pedal or at the throttle body so I am guessing I need to replace the cable. The Haynes book is virtually silent on this subject. Any tips?
Old 01-22-2000, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have done this before and it's quite easy. But before you do, Ive heard that squeeling and resistance can be a symptom of a bad pedal bushing. I know you said you looked at this, but you might want to practice you contortionist skills and look closer. There are brass pedal bushing sets available to prevent this again.
Anyway, to replace the cable you need just access to the lower firewall between the engine and cabin, and to the little opening in the tunnel right near the pedals. The cable comes with only about 1/3 of the cable sheathed. Find the hole in the fire wall the old cable went into, and feed the new cable through. A welded-in metal sheath spans the length of the tunnel. (while you're at it, check that this tube is not loose-another common problem that makes for a sticky throttle.) The pedal end of the cable screws into place, so connect this end first. It may help for someone to turn the other end of the cable so it doesnt bind anywhere. The other end just threads up where the old cable was.
I recently put a new cable in to my restoration project. I used Terry cables from Pelican Parts because they are teflon coated and supposedly better than original.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to email- ihas@ucsu.colorado.edu
Old 01-23-2000, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: