Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

what fuel pump for carbed 1.7L?

i've got a 1.7L that is going to have carbs (a pair of weber 40's). i've been told that i need a lower pressure fuel pump than the stock one and that i can just pick one up at the local auto parts store. i noticed that there were 2 types of electronic fuel pumps there, one for foreign cars: 1.5psi-4psi, and one for domestic cars: 4psi-7psi. my question to all you guys out there runnin carbs is, which one should i get?
Old 10-21-1999, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
3.5 to 4.5 psi. I would recommend getting the 4-7 psi. and using a 'good' pressure regulator. And dont forget to read the installation instructions. Most manufactureres (sp.) say to mount the fuel pump 12-18 inches below the carb. or as close to the bottom of the gas tank level as possible. In other words the stock location. The diaphram type pumps are designed to push the gas not suck it. Vibration is also a consideration. I would get some rubber mounting washers to isolate it from the chassis, then you will need to use a ground strap. etc.....

Good Luck
CWP
Old 10-21-1999, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 72_914
I use a carter fuel pump I ordered from Summit racing (www.summitracing.com) on my carbed 1.7L. It workes very well and I think it only cost about $40. I also ordered the summit fuel filter to go with it ($5). It is really nice, it just screws into the fuel pump (one end is npt and the other has barbed hose fitting). You can also get your fuel regulator there too and ss braided fuel line, cool an fittings, fuel cells, and a whole bunch of other stuff you dont "need" but would be really cool.
Old 10-22-1999, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Most conversions I've seen used a Facet electric pump with screw on filter mounted right where the old pump used to sit. Some carb conversions I've seen need to have a pressure regulator used between the pump and the carb to lower the pressure down to about 2.5 lbs in order to avoid overpowering the floats. You'll be able to smell the overflow if the pressure is too high. These pumps can be noisy , so it's best to mount it on rubber isolators.
Old 01-20-2000, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Look into a rotory style pump, small and quite. They are more reliable than the pulse type and on the 75-76 914's they will simply replace the stock one in the original location under the gas tank.
Old 01-21-2000, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The facet pump is okay, but a bit noisy. You have to fool around with mounting it to get the noise out. Click,click,click... Louder than your valves...

Also, I keep a spare facet in the car, with fittings and wire connectors already attached. I had one fail once and leave me stranded. They are cheap, and having an extra one assures the installed one won't fail...

I like the idea of a rotary pump, but have not been able to find one. If someone has specific info on one that fits in the stock location, I'd sure like to hear it, too.
Old 01-21-2000, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I mentioned the rotory because I am using one on my 75. I'll get the brand, part#, specs, and price and post it. Really nice, looks and mounts just like the factory pump, except low pressure. By the way, I was also running dual weber 40's

[This message has been edited by roadtrp204 (edited 01-21-2000).]
Old 01-21-2000, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

the rotary pump is for sale at Autozone and it cost around 26.00 bucks is extremely quiet, so quiet that is hart to realize is working, it comes with filter, strap and a bunch of different fittings, ask for a universal electric fuel pump is cilyndrical in shape.

Steve
Old 01-21-2000, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One thing to keep in mind is mounting the pump away from heat sources to eliminate vapor lock. I recently installed a new pump on my car. I bought a facet pump from one of many chain auto stores that carry them (I think I went with NAPA, the cheapest.) Its a cube looking thing-- 1.5-4psi. You want 3.5psi for webers. I pulled the pan off the front end that guards the master cylinder among other things. I drilled two holes to the inside of the fuel tank access hole, and mounted the pump. I used 1/2" think medium density rubber to isolate the pump. Its real easy then to pull out some fuel line and attach it to the pump, also, the pan protects it from harm. I did end up installing a regulator (which I dont think was necessary) in the engine compartment. I had a very hard time finding a good one-people seem to like numbers from 1-10 rather than pressure values. But if your float valves in the carbs are good, the Facet pump doesnt need a regulator.
Old 01-23-2000, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: