Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Solo trip x country

Well, I see everyone is thinking about a 914 trip cross country. My wife and I are taking a month off, 8-20 through 9-20 for a trip around the US. We live in MI and will be driving to Cal and around whereever we end up... The thing is, do we take the teener? I have 2 concerns, first what if it breaks down? (Im guessing PP would ship next day for us to just about anywhere, of couse it would cost us.) What kind of stability can we expect in Death Vally Desert? and 2nd concern is how rough is that ride gonna be? Has anyone done this? What kinda work could be done to smooth the ride out for this trip?

Also, I will be on the road on 9-14-00... so if I take the teener, where we meeting

BTW: My goal is to get a sticker from every US state that my 914 has been to (hopfully all but Hawaii) and place them in the underside of the hood.
Old 01-21-2000, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well when you guys get to San Diego, give me a call and we will take you to some real good Mexican food. I would do the same for the 914 as any other car before a long trip; have it serviced by a very good mechanic, have a good spare, several cans of snot, spare plug wires, spare hoses, belt, etc and it should be pretty easy. Might be a little warm in places that time of the year. I'd take a digital camera and take shots every day, xfer them to a laptop and send to the PP web site so everyone can follow th trip????
Old 01-21-2000, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ive driven a '74 914 from Florida to Colorado (trip 1), then to arizona (trip 2), back to colorado (trip 3), and finally down to florida again (trip 4). The speedometer drive went on trip 1. I had what turned out to be a bad tranny ground strap connection confuse the hell out of me on trip 1 and 2-jumping the car seemed to help, but finally I made and auxilarary ignition switch on the road. Then a front wheel bearing started to go at the Grand canyon, but luckily the track didnt start spinning till I pulled in to the Checker Auto Parts lot 80 miles later at the closest big town. On trip 4 at Birmingham my tranny decided to start popping out of 5th gear. This was just a loose connection along my linkage. Finally in Gainesville, FL, my home town, an oil galley plug blew and I lost all my oil.

Despite these interesting additions to my trip, I had a wonderful time. These cars are so damn fun, and niether I nor my girlfriend had a complaint about comfort-these cars have to have the most comfortable bucket seats ever.

Here are my suggestions-
bring a good box of tools-
sockets, allen wrenches, pliers, hammer, punch, screwdrivers, tape, hand cleaner...
Bring jackstands!
Ideally drive on an engine thats been broken in
What seemed to go on my car were the things that I had never touched. I got the car used, and knew nothing of the past servicing-such as how many miles the bearings had.
Everything but the blown seal I could do on the road, but it was good i had a few extra days to play with if something more severe had occured.
Also, make sure your whells are balanced and your car is alligned.

I recently just drove my newly fully restored '70 914 from FL to CO. I had no problems. Its a good feeling to drive a 30 year old car halfway across the country, and its a lot of fun too. Plus, you will be pretty much the only 914 on the road which warrents lots of looks-a good feeling.

So if you are confident in your mechanic abilities, and in your car, can fit all your luggage in, and your passenger excells in understanding and patients, you will have a great time.

Good luck, it really is worth it.
Old 01-23-2000, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just counted (for my own benefit but Ill brag to anyone who reads this) the number of states my 914 has seen since Ive owned it: 16

FL, GA, AL, MI, AR, OK, TX, NM, CO, UT, AZ, KA, MS, IL, KT, TN
Old 01-23-2000, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

i'm counting the states my 914 has been in since i got it:

WY, confusion, dispair...
Old 01-23-2000, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, thanks for the reply. Seams like the ones that have traveled in it say there fun John, I just might take ya up on that Mexican food. As for the camera... Anyone wanna lend us one? We plan on getting a real good feel for the car before heading off on our trip. We should have all of spring and most of summer. Thanks for the info. If you have anymore ideas or warnings, I would love to hear it. Thanks again everyone

Kevin Germain
Old 01-23-2000, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
For about $80-$90 Sears has an all metric tool set in a case. Nice and compact.

I'd check with the credit card company (Citibank are a bunch of damn fools IMHO) some will cut you off if you make ANY out of the ordinary charges (like car parts, and gas in other states. "Gee let me think, all the gas charges are in a straight line Fl to Ohio, same as last year. Must be a stolen card, couldn't be the customer takes the same trip every year", but I digress) Also, most won't allow companies to ship to any place other than the billing address. Ask Wayne about it.

Check the windsheild wipers, if they are starting to slow down, now is the time to rebuilt them. The contacts and the linkage tend to go before the motor. Re-pack the C-V joints, check the play of the berings, do a tune up then keep all the old parts (points, cond, plugs, wires) in the car. Change the alt belt and keep the old one. I change mine by slippin gth ebelt over the alt pulley and halfway on the drive pulley, then push the car forward to pop the belt on. No tools. Take an extra thottle, and clutch cable, also buy an extra clutch "trunion", when my cable broke the end with the clevis broke off too. Had to walk up and down the road like a fool for an hour to find it.

A tarp and two sticks can be nice if you need to work on the car in the rain.

Look at the Rennelist archives, we talked about this for some time about a year ago(?)
Old 01-23-2000, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Get the premium AAA card. It pays for a tows up to 100-250 miles I think...most major highways have service stations no more than that far away...also consider a cell phone.

Good Luck.
Old 01-24-2000, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Talk to your insurance agent about some additional insurance for the time your away from home, Like stated value coverage. If he can't provide it get it somewhere else. (not full coverage) If the teener is totaled while your 1500 miles from home and you have to leave it,atleast you won't get spanked when you try to seattle up with them. It sometimes takes a little hunting to get a good deal so plan this early.
Old 01-24-2000, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, heres what we already have. Im a AAA member and they will tow to nearest repair station. My insurance will provide me with a retnal car if I total the 914 (but lets ask ourselves, can you really total a 914 after all that love has been poored into it?) We decided that we would put 2 tool kits in the car, one in the front trunk, and the other in back (incase one wont open). I've just replaced all important cables (i.e. all but heater because I have no heat). I just put a rebuilt tranny in and replaced the entire clutch, we will have all spring to test this. Well put new tires on the car this spring and Im replaceing/repairing the suspension (shocks, bushings, torsion bars, cv joints, sway bars...). I think everything is all set. Thanks for all the info guys.

Kevin
Old 01-25-2000, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

oops, I forgot. My BIGGEST concern is the heat in the desert. Does anyone here own a 914 that runs in or has run in 110, 120+ temps? If I knew the air cooling system could handle this I'd feel much more comfortable. I've done this trip before with a watercooled motorhome and it over heated twice.
Old 01-25-2000, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

when you get ready to go, and decide you'll be coming through WY, let me know when and what end of the state. I think it would be great to talk to another 914 owner. if you break down somewhere near me, i'd be able to give you a hand in getting going again.
-jim-
Old 01-25-2000, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I would tour my 914 in Florida summers at 110 MPH for a couple hundred miles, and this with a 2.4L 4 cyl. The stock temp gauge would max out so I put in one with a matched sensor from an '80s VW Rabbit. This is a VDO that has actual gauged numbers. It was running hot, so i added an external oil cooler which did the trick. The addition is simple too! You just have to screw on an adapter to the oil filter plate and route the hosing. A good place is in the rear fender. This really cools the engine and adds an extra quart of oil for additional cooling and protection. Just make sure to use quality hose clamps and keep an eye on them, the rubber tends to expand with the heat, allowing the clamps to cut in, when it cools and shrinks, oil leaks may develop. If you stay away from the cheap hose clamps that have notches cut out for the screw to turn, you'll have better luck. Also, make sure you use performance hose-the expensive stuff that is rated for high oil pressure.
If youre still concerned, and the weather is good, removing the engine rain pan is easy and lets a lot more air in.
But honestly, if you keep it under 100MPH (Around 4000 RPM in 5th) and have a stock engine, I think you'll be fine.

KEEP AN EYE ON THE OIL!!!<---best advice ever
Old 01-26-2000, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: