Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
Popping out of fifth gear?!?!?!

My car is a 1973 2.0L with a sideshifter transmission.

When I am driving along at about 60 and I put the car in fifth gear, if I push the gas pedal down about halfway, in other words put a moderate amount of pressure on the gear, it will pop out. It will stay in if I hold it there.

Does anyone know why? Does this mean I am going to have to rebuild my transmission?

Thanks....oh, and also, the heater on the driver's side doesn't work. All of the ducting is there...cold air does blow through it though.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-26-1999, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd try adjusting the linkage first to make sure it hasn't moved any. Also might want to check the engine mounts since if one is broken it will make the engine/tranny move when you step on the gas. As for the cold air, make sure there are no missing pieces in the side without the heat. Trace from the fan in the engine compartment to both sides of the engine with flex ducting, down through the sheet metal to the air box, then out of the air box to the flapper valve and then the ducting to the pipe that runs through to the front on both sides. There are two mixing valves there on either side that may not be hooked up correctly and you are getting cold air in from the front air vent under the wipers? Under the car, make sure that all the little pieces that comprise the hot air piping on the exhaust are there and I'd remove the flex piping to inspect it and make sure there is not a hole on the side you can't see. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-26-1999, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Youve probably solved this by now, but I had the same problem. Unfortunatly, I had a lot more problems with my tranny too, so I rebuilt it. I saw nothing wrong with 5th to indicate a problem. When i replaced it, the problem wasnt there-so i believe it was just a loose linkage. I hope it is for your case too. good luck!
Old 01-26-2000, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well,
I haven't solved the problem yet. I keep playing with the linkage every now and then, but it will still do it. I guess I will just keep playing with it until it really is time to rebuild the transmission.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-26-2000, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It seems kind of unusual to see 5th act like that. Did it just start doing that, or has it been gradually getting worse. As John said, double check your engine mounts. Does the gearshift lurch a bit when you step on the gas. If so, it might be the mounts. Put a jack under the engine and see if it seperates from the engine bar.

Check all the easy stuff before you open up the trans.
Old 01-26-2000, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have brand new engine mounts, so I know that isn't the problem. The only thing that happens with the gear shifter is that when the accelerator is pushed, it gets pulled back about 1/8 of an inch. This, I would think, would be somewhat normal, but not sure. It just all of a sudden started doing it. It didn't come on gradually. I am betting that it is the linkage, but can't pinpoint it completely.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-26-2000, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: