Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
supertraps

Has anyone tried using a Y pipe (two ports into one) off the heat exchangers of a 2.0L
to a supertrap or megaphones?
Old 01-26-2000, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm curious about this also...I'm putting a 2L in my VW fastback and have the y-pipe exhaust manifolds. I wanted to run 2 supertrapps; one off of each but the only concern is that I'll lose the scavenging capabilities of a merged exhaust. I beleive I'll just have a merged system built and run one supertrapp off of that. Let me know what you find out.
Dave
Old 01-27-2000, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have that set up on a 1.8L W/ dual 40 webers.With the cam that I have there was no low end response until I put the Supertrap on.It made a big improvement.I used the small 2" x 9" trap with a 2 to 1 pipe from a sebring setup from performance prod.It is made by Trimill, maybe you could buy it seperate from them.It worked out good and the trap mounts dead center. I am building a 2.0L now and I will probally dig deep and buy headers.
Old 01-27-2000, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I was going to attach a supertrapp to the end of each heat exchanger, as I had great results with them on watercooled VW autocross cars. Then I heard a 914 that was set up the same way; EXTREMELY loud - even with the cap and fewer discs. As far as scavenging and back pressure go, that is the beauty of the super trap. You can dial in any amount that you wish. We used to adjust them for different autocross courses and Solo 1 events. I don't know if running carbs will cause problems when adjusting back pressure however - you may want to start a different thread on that all together.
Scott S

[This message has been edited by S Schroeder (edited 01-27-2000).]
Old 01-27-2000, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all. Where is the best place to get supertraps and the flange need to put this on?
Old 01-27-2000, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
don't know how much help this is.. but a friend (steve lutz) has the kerry hunter headers and supertrapp setup along with carbs on his race prepped 2.0. He told me the car rain like h@ll unless he added all the disks (12) on the supertrapp.

for what it's worth,

Jeff
Old 01-27-2000, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
I have the end pieces and flanges available for two. All you need is the megaphones...if you can weld, you can make a set.
Old 01-27-2000, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Racers Wholesale is where you get em
1-800 8867223 www.racerwholesale.com
Old 01-28-2000, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I gave out the wrong one, this is it-
and they are on sale- www.racerpartswholesale.com
Old 01-28-2000, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
MikeZ: How much do you want for the end pieces and flanges?
Old 01-28-2000, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
$70.00, send me your address and or phone # offline....my email is
mtz1@home.com
Old 01-29-2000, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hi all,

Perhaps I should be on a different thread, but this seemed an appropriate starting point.

I have a 912E, with the 2.0 four. I'm considering tinkering with the exhaust for performance, and I'd like to know if anyone out there has any advice (supertrapp experience or otherwise) about this same question applied to the 912E? The factory single inlet, single outlet exhaust is both expensive and seemingly very restrictive. I'm going to dual webers right now, as well as some other upgrades, and I'd like to hear about any exhaust thought you may have.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2000, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Try FATS Performance, they haveType-4 into Bettle conversions, might know about any exhaust. Either that or see how the early T-4 bus exhaust was. I know the later 77- had one similar to a 75-76 914, not good. The latest 80-83 t-4 bus had different exhaust ports so don't even bother.

One thought if you're creative with the welder... The 75-76 914 and later bus had a "shorty" pipe off the head that went forward then into a second pipe that bent 180 degrees to the muffler. If you turn the shorty around and take off the second pipe you get a three bolt flange to bolt mufflers/pipes to. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2000, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: