Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
10 yrs already??

car drawings

does anyone know where i can find 3-d rendition of a 914 in autocad format? I have autocad and want to draw my 914 there and do some modifications to it, or if there is already a drawing of it somewhere...
maybe some blue print scans with a front view, side view and top view? anyone know where i could find something like that? or am i giong to have to just measure my car and start putting in numbers?
Old 01-28-2000, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Baloo914
The scans here on the Pelican site are pretty rough. I printed them up in 11"x17" size (size B, I think) and the quality is pretty weak. I would love to have a copy of those if you ever do get around to doing them. Please have the guys here at Pelican put it on their site.
Old 01-31-2000, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dbeardsl
The scans are weak? did you download the large one? its 4600 X 3300. thats HUGE, that would make a Great 11X17 NO problem.
Old 01-31-2000, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are you considering putting them into a 3d cad system? Now I would pay to have that
Old 02-01-2000, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

Germain,

yeah, in 3-d. it's probably going to take a couple of months to do, though, with school and all. I"m going off of the blue prints and body measurements that are on pelican right now. I have autocad 2000, in what format would you need for me to save it? and how much would you pay? you can e-mail me about it at tfi@hotmail.com. I'd be willing to trade the drawings for porsche parts or computer parts or help with schooling.

-jim-
Old 02-01-2000, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I downloaded the same print and made a few 11x17 copies and they came out okay.

I'm not that familiar with AutoCAD 2000, can you save it in IGES format so it can be used with other 3-D or solid modeling programs?

Someone on this or the RennList has access to a STL machine to produce a 3D model.

If you could can make the basic body outlines and get them made in 1/24 or 1/8 scale models that would be cool. I would pay for that. As would many others if they looked good.

Good luck finding someone that will pay for you to draw this car, I say that because if they have the ability to download 3-D images then I'm sure they have the software to draw the car in the first place.

I started this a few months ago with Pro/E and so far I've only gotten around to modeling up parts of the front brakes and suspension. Since I'm not getting paid to draw and model the car my ambition is on the low side.

Right now I'd just rather work on the real thing.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8

[This message has been edited by mike mueller (edited 02-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mike mueller (edited 02-02-2000).]
Old 02-01-2000, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
are we talking about an in-depth model where you can look at the bottomside of the model and see what you'd see underneith the real car?.. or a solid object?.. if we're just talking about a solid object.. i can probably whip one up in 3dsmax in a few hours..

hmm.. that's actually an interesting idea.. i'll have to look into those drawings.. i can have a moving 914 in all my computer animations of my buildings..

-Jeff
Old 02-01-2000, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

i started out just wanting a solid object that i can "virtually" chop the body to pieces, and play with the way it looks. I don't want to do that to my real one, so i thought i'd do it on the computer. all these talks about "what kind of body kits are available" just make me want to go and see what kind of body mods are do able. If you do a 3dsmax version, i can import that into autocad 2k. I can also export to 3dstudio files, as well as the following types: .wmf, .sat, .stl, .eps, .dxx, .bmp, .dwg. I can Save As: ACAD 12, 13, 14, or 2k DXF files, or drawings, or templates.
like i said earlier, i am doing this in between homework and classes. it's not really on the top of my priority list.
Old 02-01-2000, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was looking at building a model in ProE. So I could export it and maybe make a screen saver.

The best way to do it would be to find someone with Adobe StreamLine. It automatically converts drawings into paths.
http://www.adobe.com/products/streamline/main.html

Import the graphics here at Pelican as .TIF files then export them as .EPS or .DXF which can be imported to Velum or AutoCad to Export IGES.

Once in the 2D version it would still take a lot of work to create the 3D model

So if you have friends in the desk top pulishing or graphic design industry it might be worth asking if they have StreamLine.

Andy
Old 02-02-2000, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: