Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

USELESS AS TITS ON A BOAR HOG

Why not delete some of the old stuff. There are way to many threads that either repeat covered topics, or is just useless OT
chit chat that makes no sense. Some threads are just a link to
another thread. You get a lot of junk to sift through when you perform a search.

www.914club.com

Last edited by hargray2; 01-28-2004 at 07:49 PM..
Old 01-04-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

I disagree! Many times there is some new useful piece of information in a "repeated" thread.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They could be looked through and deemed useless. You can't deny that there is useless junk out there. I am not saying that all repeats are useless however.

www.914club.com
Old 01-04-2004, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This thread is a perfect example.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's true, 911 owners are

or, maybe it's just you?

I guess you like reading about someone's dog when you do a search on carburetors?

www.914club.com
Old 01-04-2004, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

The issue as I see it is that "cleaning up" == "censorship" i.e. the person doing the cleanup has the sole power to decide what stays, and what goes. Odds are about 99.99% that this person will delete some stuff that many of us want to keep online, and/or would keep some stuff that some of us think is crap.

I say keep it all...storage and bandwidth are cheap these days
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-04-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Actually, I think it's you

Calling Milt a dick head? Not very mature and totally uncalled for.

Who's going to read through every post and make the call of it's relative merit? You? You don't seem qualified to make a sound judgmental decision on their value.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of posts. The trick is using the search engine effectively.

While you are at it, why not ask Google to eliminate web pages you don't care for, so you don't have to look at Porsche Design sunglasses when doing a search for parts? Learn to use the parameters of the search engine to eliminate unwanted posts and try to be more open to all our Porsche Brethren. I had always hoped that 914 drivers were above that petty model discrimination, but you killed that.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Hmmm. I do not want to gang up on a newer member, but this is not a techincal only board. Many of us here are friends and the topics are not purely 914 Techincal.

What I would suggest is that some of the often covered topics get pulled into FAQs and placed in the tech section so that someone can sift through them easily.

James

Last edited by red-beard; 01-04-2004 at 11:05 AM..
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
who is going to do that?

I heart Boobies
Old 01-04-2004, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'd say whoever wants to...I wrote a tranny article with the intention of putting it into the tech section, but decided against it...

James
Old 01-04-2004, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
why against? It's a good article.

I heart Boobies
Old 01-04-2004, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I did not want to give up the right to the technical matter.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Quote:
This thread is a perfect example.
Ditto ...

Old 01-04-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Re: Actually, I think it's you

Quote:
Originally posted by HMeeder
Calling Milt a dick head? Not very mature and totally uncalled for.

Who's going to read through every post and make the call of it's relative merit? You? You don't seem qualified to make a sound judgmental decision on their value.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of posts. The trick is using the search engine effectively.

I had always hoped that 914 drivers were above that petty model discrimination, but you killed that.

I'm the dickhead? I was only making a suggestion. His comment was uncalled for.

How can you say I don't seem qualified? You are not qualified
to make a sound judgemental decision on me! You don't know me.

I know how to use the search. But you cannot avoid getting
useless junk.

Lastly, I did not kill your hopes on anti-discrimination. It was killed a long time ago by some of your good friends. "Wine and cheese eaters", for example.

Get outta here with that maturity BS. A mature reply would have been "I don't think that's a good idea", or "It would take too long", or "I'm afraid we would lose some good info".

Why must you attack people making harmless suggestions?

IMO I think it's a good idea. If the thread has not been looked at in forever, and it says something like "I saw a 911 at McDonalds
3 days ago and it was neato", then the thread is useless.

www.914club.com

Last edited by hargray2; 01-04-2004 at 03:13 PM..
Old 01-04-2004, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Now you're fighting against human nature which is an impossible task. Sad but true.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

hargray2:
Dude get over yourself. Your new to this and the "club" site and your uneccesarily stirring things up. This stuff is for fun. I'd say both sites are 60/40 technical/frienship type posts. These guys know there stuff and if you want to know something, search/sift or just ask.

Don't be a weenie yourself.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

New to this site?

Honestly, I'm not trying to stir up anything fellas. I only made a suggestion. Obviously, you guys don't like it. Sorry.
Yes, I am new to the 'Club" site. It's a breath of fresh air when you are accustomed to this forum. You can smell the politics here
as soon as you see the big white bird.

I realize a lot of you guys are personal friends and that's fine and dandy. Where I live, I'd never see another 914 if it wasn't for the internet

The club site is open to such suggestions. They even have a BBS
dedicated to it.

www.914club.com
Old 01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

ha, ha, ha,... too funny!! but, new members show up all the time. threads, like reruns, and movies, can be good over and over. then they go sideways like this one and IT'S A BRAND NEW SHOW. pelican, 914club, shoptalk, etc, are as much social as technical.

kevin
Old 01-04-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

"This thread is a perfect example," is not a direct attack on hargray2. It is a very snide remark and was intended to be. There is some irony in the the original post. Why not put this in the Off Topic section? (Where I'm sure it's headed, eh, Dave?)

Somehow, I knew hargray2 would leap back as having been personally attacked. I was careful not to make a direct reference to his character or anything personal. He seems to have taken care of that himself.

But, hargray2, I'm not that bad of a guy to deal with. If you want to carry a grudge, no problem. As far as I'm concerned, if your next post requested info on a 914 that I could help with, I would post my help.

Lastly, while I'm not for any kind of 'cleaning up,' I am for keeping this primarily a tech board with occasional deviations. The other BBS I'm familiar with is more off topic than on. You'll find me here more as a result.

All in good fun, everyone have a nice day.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

No grudge against anyone. My first response to Milt was just for fun and I did not feel personally attacked until I came back some time later.
If what HMeeder wrote is not a personal attack, then I don't know what is! He kicked me in the nuts for no reason.

I myself agree that this post is OT from 914's and best friends
but it was meant for this board.

www.914club.com

Last edited by hargray2; 01-04-2004 at 05:30 PM..
Old 01-04-2004, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: