Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Muddling Along

Does anyone know if and where I could get
mudflaps for my 914, I am getting tired of
all the mud flinging up on the rear and front
quater panels, here in Seattle it's MUD BOWL
2000. I've see Miata's with flaps that seem to be formed to fit the wheel well.
Oh well probably factory.
Old 01-27-2000, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Is there any way you can NOT drive the car in this adverse weather? Maybe its your daily driver and I don't want to sound insensitive....but....

These cars won't last long if exposed to those severe conditions...mudflaps on a 914 don't seem to fit the genre otherwise Dr. P would have designed them that way. But there is a darker side of me that encourages you....I'll bet the 914's are a blast to drive in mud and snow and besides, the value of my car goes up with the fewer of them that survive! Have fun, be happy! Live to drive, drive to live! :^)
Old 01-27-2000, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might want to try a plastics supply house and get a partial sheet of 1/8 inch nylon or one of the other super pollymers (sp ?) of the 90's and make some from a pattern. If you use nylon it can be dyed to match the car...I would use some small screws and washers to hold them on in the winter and take them off if there is ever any sun there. I can remember being stationed in Seattle in the late 70's and the bicycle racing club I trained with all had fenders on their race bikes! Good reason too!
Old 01-27-2000, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I response to Mr Bowsley it is my daily driver, in Seattle it rains all the time and I live on a dirt road, I was just asking if there are pre formed fender extensions like
the Miata for the 914, I don't want to make them just buy them.We don't use salt on the roads and it hardley ever snow so the car is
not exposed to much wear and tear. I guess I could put 165/15's on it so there would be no
spray on the body. ** NOT **
Old 01-31-2000, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

On the off chance that you are unaware, the 914 collects dirt/mud in copious quanitys behind the rocker pannels,just above the jack pad. If this area is not regularly cleaned out (like weekly in the case you describe)your teener will die of teriminal
cancer. I have cleaned out 10 pounds of this crap from each of two separate cars that were seldom driven in the rain (I also live in WA.). My 914 doesn't do rain any more.
JPIII
Old 01-31-2000, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the rocker panel tip, that was the
first thing I did when getting the car back on the road. Happy to say the area behind the
panels was pristine. This car has no rust the only problem was under the battery which has
been fixed. It's rainy here but pretty moderate temperatures.
I'm sure if it was stored outside it would end up looking like a Chia pet.
Old 02-01-2000, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Since you drive on dirt roads, I hope you check the area around the brake master cylinder under the splash shield? I used an extra foam rubber gasket to seal the area since I didn't want it to look like the pictures in the Haynes manual.
Old 02-01-2000, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to macman
Drom what i heard, all 914's cams with the holes for mud flaps. Talk to dave said in olympia, he has a beautyful car that has mud flaps (takes almost nothing away from the overall apearence of the car. I think he made his though. Good luck.
Oh yea, if you want his contact info, e-mail me at addressee@home.com

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 02-06-2000, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: