Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

speedo angle drive

in the course of investigating why my speedo stopped functioning, i removed the speedo cable from the angle drive at the rear of the trans, used a 3/8"drill and screwdriver bit to turn the cable. the odometer ran forward so i concluded the cable was ok. a bit of trivia that may help someone else: the cable turns CCW. i searched PP BB for the past year for posts with no results, so .... someone review replacement and a couple of questions: is it most likely the angle drive? (914.318.029.01 $50@PP), could the angle drive be ok and something in the trans be broken? i turned the tab in the angle drive and it freely rotated leading me to suspect it is the problem. i removed the "hold in" bolt and pulled on the angle drive but it remained in place so since i don't have the replacement anyway, i put it back together for a sunnier/warmer day. any advice/tricks?

Old 02-19-2000, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

i've got the same problem, my speedo doesn't work. i haven't tore into it yet to find out what it is, i'm waiting for a sunnier day, a shop, and second gear + synchros. i'm interested in what others have to say also.

-jim-
Old 02-19-2000, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
It is most likely the angle drive, they go bad quite often. Out of 4 914's only one had a working one, one was riged to work without it (the PO put the speedo cable through the nut that holds the angle drive on, then flanged the cable out so it was held on by the nut. It worked...barly) and two had no angle drive at all, just a dangling cable.

I'm working on hooking up a VDO programable speedo to the 901 right now. I have the sender (a VDO electronic sender for a GM with a 7/8"-18 thread nut) and am tring to find a speedo shop to make an adaptor that goes right into the trans so I can bypass the angle thingy completely. At the very least I'll have them make up a cable with a 914 end and a GM end. As it stands I have 195/50/15's and I'm not too sure how fast I'm going. "Now, 3000 in third gear is 40... or was that 4000 in fourth? NO wait, ahhhhh, stop sign. Is that cop following me?"
Old 02-19-2000, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had the same symptom, and found it was the angle drive. The angle drive tab should NOT turn freely. I bought Pelican's drive-a German VDO part, and had a working speedo shortly after. You probably want to drain the tranny before you remove the drive. Im sure youve looked at the part ny now. There is an aluminum sleeve that fits into the tranny, into which the angle drive screws. A little special bolt it the only thing holding the assembly onto the tranny. I didnt want to risk shearing this bolt-my angle drive was tightly mounted to the sleeve-so I removed the assembly so I could grip the sleeve while undoing the angle drive. If you decide to go this way, check before you remove the assembly to see if any tranny lube is leaking around the sleave. There is an o-ring that needs to be replaced if this is the case. Good luck! Bear in mind-the angle drive is cheaper than the speedo and easier to replace than the cable-so I guess youre lucky!

Ben

Old 02-19-2000, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: