Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need Advice - Changing Heads

I need any advice I can get.

I stripped out a spark plug hole and was planning on fixing with a heli-coil. However, I just picked up a set of rebuilt heads on E-Bay today.

My long-term plans are to build myself a nice 2.0 within the next year or so but for the time being I need to keep my 1.8 alive.

Since I will be dropping the engine to replace the heads, what else can I do to shape things up - Without spending an arm & a leg.

I am planning on replacing the heads, push-rod tubes & seals, oil cooler seals, and painting the engine tin.

I'm wondering if it would be worth my effort to replace the rear main seal at this point.

Remember, I really don't want to incur too much more expense as I will be replacing the entire engine in the near future.

Any advice would be appreciated.............................Vern

'74 911 Coupe - Silber Metalic (963-93), PMO ITB Injection and Electromotive Management
'88 944 Coupe - Nougat Brown Metalic
'74 914 Targa - Light Gray 2.0
Old 02-09-2004, 07:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

My stripped spark plug holes were repaired with helicoils but I was told that Time Serts are a better way to repair them. I don't know if Pelican sells them - if not, you can buy them here . Check out this tech article for a better idea of what you can do to keep your 1.8 running until your 2.0 is ready.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 02-09-2004, 08:19 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: