Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 How Rare?

I am curious about just how many cars may still be on the road, here is my thinking...

There were 120,000 made...30% stayed in Europe, 70% shipped here --> 85,000 came to the USA. 60% of those made it to California --> 50,000 cars to CA total, originally (seems like a lot huh?), over the 6 years of production.

Trying to get a pulse on how many 914's I've seen in my area (not many in my recollection) and in considering Brian K's post that even in So Cal he doesn't see that many...considering about how many we might have at the meet (~30ish give/take) as a representative sample and that that amount might only be 1/4 to 1/3 of the total in the Bay Area...and considering the number of hits on the 914 websites divided by the number of people making the posts... I'd like to think I'm overestimating on the side of caution and guess there are maybe 200 in the Bay Area, 400 in Los Angeles and 1000 total in CA. It would be interesting to poll Pelican and the other parts vendors to get their feel for how many customers (# of names, not # of orders) to verify...

There are populations in the southern states mostly from AZ, TX, FL and up the eastern seaboard...I would guess that most in the rustbelt have perished because of....(insert guess). My WAG guess is maybe 2,000 or 3,000 total remaining in the USA. So if 3,000 of the original 85,000 cars are still living that means about only 3 or 4% of the original number have survived in the US, and believing that Europe is generally as harsh on cars as the Northeast US, even fewer % there.

Is this foolishness or do you have anything to add?

Old 01-07-2000, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Living in Atlanta I see them a few times a week. Not all are the same and they vary in condition. Hell there is a corner near where I work that's had 6, count them 6, up for sale in the last 8 months. Now one '74 met blue 2L has been sold three times running on that corner over the last few months. She's a real rust bucket.

I think that thing with these cars is that they are not valued. Hell I get one of two responses about the car:

After, NICE. . .

1. 914, too bad it's a vee-dub. . .
2. Porsche, is that the early '90's boxster?

Now the first comment comes from exclusively +40yo folks. The second from 15-25yo folks. Either way the car is always "nice", and never "WOW" like my old Triumph.

That being as it may I just think that the 914's were allowed to die quietly around here. But the 2L engines are all over local VW bug folks. There are 5 bugs within a 3 mile radius of where I live with '73-'74 2L 914 engines and FI! Believe it or not one of these guys took the afternoon off to teach me how to tweak the FI!

Ian
Old 01-07-2000, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

From what I have gathered for here in MI, only 19 cars. Yep 19 registed with the sec of state in the year 1997. So you tell me
Old 01-07-2000, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I know of at least 10 or more than have perished to the car crushing gods in the last few years. These 914's I've seen in the local pick-n-pulls only last for a few weeks till the major parts are yanked off them and then they are crushed for good.

Look how many rusted and damaged 914's good ol' AA has, most of these will never see life on the road again. I think all914.com
has at least 10-15 914's, most of them not too far from being fully streetable.

I happend to save mine from going to the crushers, one more day and it would have been gone for good. Right now I know of two at pick-n-pull, in fact one of the fellow listers got the roll cage (a nice one at that) for a whole $25. I'm jealous.

Germain, how did you get that info from the DMV ? Can anyone request that kind of information from the state ?

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8

[This message has been edited by mike mueller (edited 01-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mike mueller (edited 01-07-2000).]
Old 01-07-2000, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Before buying my first 914 last October, I did a Lexis-Nexis search for 914's registered in the Pensacola and Mobile area. I no longer have the printouts, but I recall finding 15 to 20 current registrations in the Pensacola area and 40-50 in the Mobile area. Most states motor vehicle registration records are available on Lexis-Nexis. When I get back to work Monday I'll try to remember to check the total 914 hits for Florida and Alabama and post my results.
Old 01-07-2000, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
What is a lexis nexis and is it availible to anyone? How about a little more info. Maybe we all could work together and do a state wide search.
Old 01-08-2000, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Are there really only 19 in Michigan? Not including mine I have seen three fours and one six but 19 sounds very low for the entire state.
Old 01-09-2000, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If there are only 19 914s in michigan i have 4 of them i know where there are 15 in wayne and monroe county alone including 2 6s the only stats that are ever right is wifepoo telling me how much money is coming out of my paycheck for the bills and not Porscheparts this week Joe
Old 01-09-2000, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Actually there is a PI in the house....me. The California Legislature put the clamps on giving out addresses and locations after an actress was murdered by a stalker. He got the information via a PI that did not have much of a brain....most PIs when they do a locate will notify the subject and ask if they want to be found. If they don't want to be, then a PI with a brain/ethics and a non-disclosure contract will NOT reveal that location to the client.

DMV has restricted information further, lately and all PIs that had access via a requester license's have had them suspended. BUT...check this out. DMV has tried to sell information to big credit card companies so that they can target owners of big ticket cars for specific advertising...

Bottom line, most personal information is not public knowledge...anymore...but the number of certain vehicle makes still on the road is probably still available via private information links like Nexis.
Old 01-09-2000, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to macman
I know of about 5 that are in my small city of mercer island (next to bellevue), and down at the local wreck yard, i have seen a good 20-25, not to mention i have probably seen about 10 914's at the wreck yard while i was their picking up parts (i'm sortof their a lot), I do believe that their is quite a few around the pacific northwest, just in classifieds2000's webpage, their is about 25 for sale in the state of washington, not to mention the 20 i have seen on the road driveing. I do believe their is more out their than you might think, at least that is my impression.
People are misled about the amount of people that are on the internet, by survaing places like pelican, you are only getting a small amount of the total 914 population.....not to mention the people who store theirs under tarps or in their garage.
just a thought!

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 01-09-2000, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I can remember back in 1970 till 1977, when I lived in both Northern and Southern California, that Porsches and especially 914s where very plentiful. Man, they were everywhere! There must have been least 5 in the parking lot at Ygnacio Valley High any given school day. I remember MG TC's, E-type Jags, 356s and other assorted rarities in the car park, but 914s were rather commonplace.
Now, I'm living in São Paulo, Brazil, and in about five year's time I've probably seen just seven teeners, including one which belonged to Emmo Fittipaldi, in a city with 12 million people and half-as-many cars. I've heard of, but not seen, two 914 sixes from local "tuberos" (Spanish for guys who say "I used to have one of those...") who stop me in traffic.

Well, it kind of saddens me to hear these stories of highways devoid of 914s especially in "Porsche-land" as my Alfa-Romeo friends refer to California. That was probably the main reason I bought my 914 down here. The moment I saw it on the lot, it took me back to those days in the Golden State. I bought it on the spot and haven't had a moment's regret since.

Old 01-09-2000, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hay guys, sorry my reply took so long, I was on vacation. I know a MI state trooper, friend of the family. He did a search on all 914's, and came up with 19 results. Thats what Im going on, now this would be currently registered 914's... Hay if we could prove the cops database wrong, more power to us. We did the search about 2 years ago when I was looking at mine.
Old 01-10-2000, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Brian K, do lexis search and just bill to last file you had open! (highly unethical). I would do it but we use Anderson/wests ;^)
Old 01-13-2000, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It would be absolutely great if those of you with access to Lexis-Nexis could do a search to determine how many 914's are registered. I assume that the total number of registered cars would have to be tempered by the following to get a glimpse of how many are still roadworthy:

Registered cars include operable cars (hopefully the vast majority), and non-operational, but registered. I assume this includes parts cars, wrecking yard cars and cars in driveways that need just a *little* TLC to get back on the road.

Let us all know what you are able to find out because INQUIRING MINDS want to know! :^)
Old 01-13-2000, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

WA State must be the hidden treasure trove of 914's.

I live in Port Townsend (population 8000 if you include all the surrounding areas) and there are 4 driving around that I see frequently with another one (a '71) that was parked on the corner for sale the other day. It was in neglected shape and I don't know if it was a driver or a roller.

Ascaris

Old 01-13-2000, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Will anyone be able to do a Lexis-Nexis search in California for 914 cars currently registered?
Old 01-16-2000, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Macman (Micheal S.)- I have only seen 3 914's on Mercer Island and havent seen yours driving around. I know of the mint cond. Irish Green '74 off 84th St, the yellow '73 off 47th Pl SE, and the white 9014 conversion which a High School girl drives...
What other cars do you know of??
Geoff
Old 01-20-2000, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I'm in Seattle. I see often exact same color 914 as mine, which is marathon blue. Some times that car is parking around Broadway area. I just wondered who own that car. It is really beautiful.
Old 01-20-2000, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hey, these are really common cars! I'm surprised we aren't being run over with them every day. In fact with time, they are becoming more and more common!

If there are 5 in Port Townsend (pop. 8000) that gives 1 per 1600 population.

250 million in the US / 1600 = 156,250 914's still running around.

Since there were only 85,000 imported in the first place, we must assume they are breeding with the population doubling every 25 years or so.

This means that 100 years from now there will be 2.5 million 914's in the US alone! Your grandchildren will be able to find one anywhere.

Ascaris

Old 01-20-2000, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
Actually, the fact that 914s are rust buckets with a hoard of other problems (unavailable rear brake calipers and wiring/FI parts) is exactly the reason they will become much more valueable in the coming years as availability continues to drop.

The chances of obtaining a good one now are virtually 0, and it takes a tremendous amount of work to rework a rusted or otherwise trashed one.

I'm hanging onto my 75 even though I never drive it in lieu of my 911.

Part of the devalue of 914s is the presence of sh** 914s now and then. Soon, those will be utterly inoperable and they'll be destroyed. What will remain are the ones that have been maintained, and the public perception of this car as a junky old 70s Porsche/VW will change.

On advantage a 914 has over a lot of other cars is its look. 924s look like fishbowls--they look like crap. 944s do as well, I think. But 914s look great. They're the Miatas of the 70s--except they're German, and they're better(handling superior for sure)

It will only be after most of them have been smashed into oblivion that the value of a "Good One" whose rust has been removed or handled, whose engine is in fine shape will rise.

Old 01-25-2000, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: