Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

OT - Chevy Blazer sputtering

Heya Pelicans
Not 914 related, but there are enough gearheads here that may be able to help. A friend has a '90 fullsize Blazer (350, TBI) that has just started "sputtering". He'll start it up in the morning, and it'll run rough, even when warmed up and driving to work. However, after work, it'll start up and run perfectly, for his entire ride home (45 minutes). Apparently, it used to only do it when going uphill (or whenever ther was a larger than normal load), but now it's consistent BUT only in the morning. Does this make sense, is he crazy? He says it seems like someone's flipping a switch - that's how quickly it comes and goes.
Any ideas?

Ciao
Jeff
Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had similar once, turned out to be the fuel filter...start easy and work your way up.
-74 BMW R90
Old 02-23-2004, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I sold mine to buy another PORSCHE.
New fuel filter and complete tune up including plug wires.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree with Mike on the fuel filter, poor gas supply under load or above a certain speed. Sixbanger's right on the tuneup. Replace the distributor cap. A cracked cap can let moisture in that condenses out in the morning, causing misfire. By afternoon the heat dries it out and it runs better. Could be both things going on too.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Buy a Ford, it'll just quit and you won't have to worry
1973 Chalon with 2.4T MFI (Schlitzalom)
All my 4 cylinders are gone
Old 02-24-2004, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Talking

When I had my 90 S-10 Blazer I experienced a similar condition. It was an intermittant miss that sometimes even stalled the engine. Drove me nutz. I bought an engine analyzer & found that the trouble code pointed to the ECM (inside the distributor).
$50.- and a few minutes to install. Good 2 go.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Go figure, he brought it to a shop this morning - and they can't find anything wrong with it! The mechanic put 40 miles on it and couldn't get it to repeat the problem. Ran it from this morning (very cold out) till this afternoon, even sprayed water (!) over the dizzy and wires while running, and it ran like a champ. (BTW, recent Accel cap/rotor, and MSD wires too). He guesses maybe some water was sucked in at some point?
I may have a spare ECM lying in the bottom of my "GM stuff" box, which I haven't touched since high school. I'll dig that up and throw it at him, maybe that'll do something. I'll try to get him to change that fuel filter also, and if I know him, he's never changed it either. I had a '91 4x4 Chebby, and when the filter clogged, all kinds of wierd things happened too.
I'll letcha know how it turns out..........

Hey Scrappy, I bought a Dodge, and when it quit I towed it to the shop and left it there. I was able to trade it in, because it was shiny.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This reminds me of the palstic baggie in the fuel tank trick. . . It gets sucked to the fuel pickup, then floats free. Change the pump, and it happens again!

Fuel pump? Filter? A fuel pressure guage will tell.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had a similar experience that baffled me for a couple of weeks. Like 914GT's recommendation, a new distributor cap cured it. There was a small crack on the back (sorry, should've phrased that a lot better) that was the culprit.
Kent
Old 02-25-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thought I'd revive this one for a second - guess what it was???
The plug wires were shot, and arcing, and the spark plugs were worn so bad there were only little nubs left! Ha! He put on MSD wires when he bought the truck 3 years ago, but never looked at how there were routed, and they were rubbing against stuff and shorting out.
Very simple solution, if he had taken the time to look carefully, oh well
Thanks doods,
Jeff
Old 03-06-2004, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: