Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
S&S Headers/Exhaust

Hi All,
I was thinkin' about goin' with S&S headers & muffler - street use.
I currently have a Bursch exhaust system that's seen better days. In the past I've had great results using S&S headers on chevy small blocks but have no info on S&S systems installed on 2.0 914's. I checked out their website at http://www.ssheaders.com/
but their website suckz. Not one picture or performance info available for us teener's. Maybe I should have (my) headers powder coated and just replace the muffler... or???
Whatdayathink???
Old 02-26-2004, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If I recall correctly, their "header system" is really just a muffler with some collector pipes on it. Just like a Bursch. And it might not even have the muffler included; it may be a bolt-on that you have to buy separately.

That was the case with one retailer who advertised (with no pics) a "914 header". We finally got a pic and found it was just the collector for a single-inlet muffler. I am not certain that it was S&S, though.

Get a pic to make sure.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-27-2004, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Don't powder coat your headers. Send them off to JetHot or some of the similar ceramic coating companies. The stuff lasts a long time.

Stainless is very expensive, as it's very hard to work with. Welding it is tricky, and a cheaper shop can easily cut corners here and you end up with a broken exhaust. The last all stainless exhaust I bought cost over $1000 (for an Alfa, not a Porsche). For that kind of money, you can buy and coat several mild-steel exhausts.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't think those are stainless steel... I think S&S is just a name, not a reference to stainless.

SSI makes stainless heat exchangers for the 914. Well worthwhile, IMHO.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I e-mail em asking for pics - but - no reply. Probably not a GOOD SIGN...
Old 03-01-2004, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck trying to get any information from S&S. I ordered a set of their headers on-line for my 914 2.0 last summer. They took my credit card, etc. I never heard a word from them and never received so much as a confirmation of my order, let alone a set of headers.

I received a similar lack of response from Kerry Hunter for a set of his headers. After two phone calls and several emails attempts with no response, I gave up. I guess it just isn't in the cards for me to get a set of headers for either of my 914's.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

call Dave @ Triad West

'76 914-6 2.7 Auto-x Toy
'70 914-6 Orig., in resto
Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

hi eric. the phone # for triad is 360-412-8021.

kevin
Old 03-06-2004, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: