Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
VDO adjustable speedo works on the 914!!!

O.K. admitedly not earth shattering news, but for me with 195/50-15's I was a little more than excited to finnaly have a speedo AND odometer that works.

I used the VDO Vision programable speedo (the cockpit one may be a better match now that I look back on it) with the VDO GM hall effect sender (340011) and with a little Noonan magic (aka a peice of 3/16" brake line) I got an accurate electric gauge.

Problems: The adaptor I made is a little shaky, I plan to e-mail VDO (who, by the way, have excellent response time. Less than a day.) to see if they have a better solution. The thread on the end of the angle drive is the same as the GM sender, the problem is the sender has a square male input and the angle drive has a flat/oval output (you'll understand if you look at it) so I flatened the brake line (about a 3/4" long peice) on one end to slip over the angle drive end and cut the VDO end off to the round "nub" and pounded it onto the nub. Then I used a nylon washer to space the sender away from the angle drive and tightened it down. Every thing rotates freely but I only have 30 miles on the set-up so far, only time will tell.

Anyway, I've very proud of myself ("set your goals low" I always say) and thought I'd share.

Old 03-05-2000, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I'm confused, I never worked on the newer speedo set ups. Is the speedo an aftermarket unit? What does it look like in your dash? can you show us some photos? Are these salvage yard pieces? How do you adjust it? How about a parts list?
Tell us more! I think is great news.
Old 03-05-2000, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
The gauge is PN:437 054 for the "Vision" but like I said the "Cockpit" series may be a better match. The bezel is identical, the size fits perfect (4" 100mm) in the stock hole, but the font on the numbers is slightly different, and the pointer is like the temp gauge not exactly like the tach. Runs about $110-$120 BTW Pelican carries VDO.The sender is PN: 340 011 for about $40-$50.

There are three ways to adjust it. 1. drive at a set speed and adjust the pointer by way of the reset button, not to accurate. 2. set the number of pulses per mile, but how to figure out the PPM I have NO idea. 3. Most accurate is to drive on the highway and set the the speedo with two mile markers. You have the speedo menu (it is a digital odo that doubles as a menu screen. cool huh?) set so when you pass the first marker you push the button then when you hit the second marker hit the button again.

The wiring is simple, three wires from the sender and the rest is behind the dash. Red/wht is you ignition, blk/blue is the lights, brown is ground.

Can't help with pixs, new suspension was more important than a dig camera, but try Summit racing or CB performance websites for pics. I'd assume that PP would match the price, and you can't beat PP service.

Old 03-05-2000, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: