Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

"Crane" my neck

I want to BUY a Crane XR3000 system for my 76 2.0. I have read all the posts and made up my mind, no small feat. More questions is there a VDO adapter needed like the one for the MSD unit. If so what is the part number. I want as much spark as possible so what coil should I use. I have a stock blue coil now. What plug wire do you guys recommend ? Where is the best place to order from ?
this post will result in an immediate purchase. "No pressure"

Old 03-13-2000, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AlexO
I just put an XR3000 in my '74 2.0. The tach works w/o an adapter. I'm using the Accel 8.8 race wires and thier Super Stock coil. The wires may be a little overkill, but they work. As for the coil, I'd go for one of the newer style coils (the squareish ones. I got my XR3000 at Autozone for $130, and the wires and coil from Advance Auto.
Old 03-13-2000, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
I've been running the xr-3000 with stock setup on everything else.. (coil and wire), probably not getting the most for my buck.. but i've had a series of unrelated problems that have kept me busy during my spare time.. regardless, even with the otherwise stock setup, the xr-3000 is a good choice.. so if you can't decide on a coil and wire, know that the stock ones will work fine.. let us (me) know what you decide with.. i've been thinking about new coil for the near future when i get around to redoing the electrical..

Jeff
Old 03-13-2000, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I have the xr-3000 on my 75 2.0 with a NOS "no-bounce" tach with no problems either. I did have problems setting up the xr because I think I was sold the "universal" kit instead of the VW specific one. Once you find the right disc and mounting bracket for the optical trigger it's easy. Look at the Crane web site, you'll see that the Blue and stock coils are not at all recomended for use with the xr3000, the Red coil is O.K. but they recomend the PS-60 (looks like the stock coil but chrome) or the PS-91 coil (square one previously mentioned) I choose the PS-91 which came with the new sparkplug end and mount.
Old 03-13-2000, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What are the differences between the XR3000 and the HI-6? Has anybody tried Nology Hot Wires?
Old 03-14-2000, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am looking for type IV plug wires now.
The problem with summit racing is you have to know the vendor and part # to search. I want
8mm or better plug wires. Any suggestions
of where to buy or what to buy. please include vendor and part info.

THANKS !!!!
Old 03-14-2000, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For my race 914 I bought a set of Accel 8.5mm "Universal Big Block" sylicone wires with Straight plug boots and angled distributor boots that I put on after measuring the wires. I ended with two sets (spare), the rubber donuts fit over the plug boots and they work great. There is a tool that comes with it to crimp the distributor end on with that worked great. The universal set's short wires are about as long as the long 914 wire.
Good luck.
Old 03-14-2000, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
You can go to an auto store like NAPA and get all the stuff you need for fairly cheap. I bought about 6 feet of high heat low resistance 8mm silicon wires for about $2/foot or less. Can't remember exactly how much it was. And then you have to buy the boots for the plugs and distributor.
Old 03-14-2000, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: