Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Tube for clutch cable.

Where is the tube that the clutch cable runs through and how can I get to it. I need to check it as I can hear and feel the cable rubbing on something.

TMK
73 2.1L
Old 03-13-2000, 11:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The tube in our race 914 was repaired several years ago. The small welds that hold the top of the tunnel were ground, the tunnel pulled open slightly then the tube welded again. The tunnel was closed, and the short welds done again, finally primer and paint was done by brush. Sounds easy but I'd have a shop do it unless you have LOTS of fireproof cloth and want to risk welding close to the fuel lines. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by john rogers (edited 03-13-2000).]
Old 03-13-2000, 01:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was able to repair my loose tube by accessing it through the rear cover plate and by removing the shifter. After getting it located in the proper position, I clamped it down with two small conduit clamps held by short self tapping screws. Good luck
Old 03-13-2000, 06:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The clamp idea is a good one, except I would either epoxy the whole clamp/screw area so the screws don't work loose as the tend to do on race cars or use small bolts with locking nuts to clamp it. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2000, 06:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all. The tube looks like it is OK. I can fill and hear the cable rubbing on something. Anyone know what this could be?

TMK
73 2.1L
Old 03-14-2000, 06:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do you have one of the "super" teflon lined cables and is it too close to the exhaust headers? If so the teflon will melt and then when it solidifies it will push the cable against the outer housing and make it rub really bad. This happened on our race 914 since the headers were close to the cable, while the car was moving it was fine, when I stopped the teflon caused all sorts of trouble. I replaced the cable with the factory unit w/o teflon and no more problems. Finally make sure the cable runs through the front engine mount in the hole provided, not around it as it will flex too much. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2000, 07:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Thanks John. I do not know what kind of cable I have. I do not have a header. I have stock ssi heat exchangers. But I do not feel the rubbing as much when I first start out but after a few miles it get worse. I will try a new cable and see what happens.

TMK
73 2.1L
Old 03-14-2000, 08:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There is a clear lining inside the tube that the cable runs through. I could be that the lining has deteriorated and is traveling with the cable instead of the cable traveling inside of it. This could cause the noise. I only bring this up because it happened to me. And I couldn't get the origanal cable out. I ended up having to cut the cable near the enginebay exit, and using a small steal rod, pound the cable up and through the pedal cluster exit. (Not too much fun). Anyway, I wish you luck.
Old 03-14-2000, 08:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I had noise in my clutch cable tube when I stepped on the clutch. I could not find any movement in the tube itself, so I removed the cable, greased it, and the noise went away. Try the easy solutions first.

Good luck and good driving.
Old 03-14-2000, 05:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: