Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

possible 914er!

Hey, I'm down in florida and looking at the gas prices steadily rise over 1.70(i know that's cheap for some), but for here it's alot. I'm in high school and don't have time for a real job between sports and everytihng else. I am currently driving a 1967 F100 with a big block v8. it obviously doesn't get very good gas mileage(app 10mpg) I'm definately not afraid of some wrenching too, and we've got a whole lot of experience around my house; Dad's knowledgeable, brother spend 3 years restoring a beetle and is now converting it to a 2056cc type 4 engine and i've picked up alot over the years also. We've got pretty much everything needed for engine or bodywork and have a MIG welder. 914's have always been my favorite car(=vehicle w/o bed) and i've discoverd that the guys at the local auto parts place have one that has been in storage for about 25 years. The car used to belong to a relative of mine, and i've been offered to buy the it. I love my truck and it really accelerates hard from a stand still, and the 4 barrel is o-so-much fun. But with the gas prices im thinking it has to go. Help convince me that a 914 is for me; tell me stories of how great they are, how they perform and so on...
I'm definately not afraid of some work too, and we've got a whole lot of experience around my house; Dad's knowledgeable, brother spend 3 years restoring a beetle and is now converting it to a 2056cc type 4 engine and i've picked up alot over the years also.
Thanks
Nate

Last edited by 71fourteen; 03-31-2004 at 05:16 PM..
Old 03-31-2004, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have both a truck and a 914. Given the choice of which I enjoy driving the most, it's the 914 hands down. While I can slide the 914 around corners, I would be a little afraid to try that in my truck.

The truck of course sees its share of road time; when it's raining, when I make a run to Lowe's for some lumber, and on the rare chance that there is snow on the ground.

On the mileage issue: 914 = 25 mpg, truck = 17 mpg. That is an issue that is becoming more important to me with the price of fuel on the rise. Even if they got the same mpg, I would still drive the 914 every oportunity that I had.

Another plus to the 914. How many 914's do you see on the road? If you want to drive something a little different, get the 914.

Get the 914 and have some fun! (provided that you can do some wrenching on your own)

David Pritchard
Old 03-31-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I can tell you now that 914's are a blast!! Mine gets over 30mpg (hiway), and is hands down cooler than my other vehicles, that cost 5 times as much. I was in for a big suprise when I thought I was getting a daily driver for 2500 bucks though. 1500 dollars later I am finishing up my engine rebuild. My advice would be to buy a 4-5k car that is already finished. You will save so much money and time! If you take pride in your work, and enjoy rebuilding a car, as I do, than go ahead and get a fixer, but be prepared for some hard work, and expense.
When taken care of though, they can be reliable, and will cost less to maintain than a car payment. Good luck, I certainly do not regret my purchase!! It is the funnest car I have ever driven.

Tony
Old 03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member w/ Title Problems

If you're going to buy a fixer, make sure it's not a rusty one. The amount of fixin' you could run into is almost horrifying. Just ask some of the guys on here. Buy something structurally sound at the very least, electrically correct is also a nice little bonus. If you want to do some wrenching, the engines aren't that big of a deal. And most importantly, make sure to have as much fun as possible in your new teener!

1989 Chevy Silverado 3500 - 454TBI, 4x4, 8 gallons/mile
Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: