Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tires

I am about to repaint my Mahle wheels, and am thinking about buying new tires. I now have Goodyear 205/60HR15's, and am not planning on doing any auto crossing, but want a tire for great road holding ability. Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot series or the Pirelli P6000? any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again - you have all been great in the past.
Old 03-18-2000, 11:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ive run yokos and michelin both on my car and by far the yokos are better. Espesially in the wet. The yoko A008's are a little softer compound than the michelins, and displace water excellent. I can honestlly say the I will never use Michelins again. ---agent914---
Old 03-18-2000, 01:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

agent914,

How many miles do you get out of the A008's?
When I replace my tires I am going to go with Yoko's for sure, but was deciding between Aoo8's and AVS Intermediates.

-Brent
Old 03-19-2000, 09:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I run Yokohama tires on all three of my Porsches. I tried Michelins once and was disappointed.

The AVS Intermediates are a wonderful tire.
Old 03-19-2000, 03:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My friend had a 1st-generation MR2 shod with the AVS Intermediates, and he loved them--good grip, good wear, reasonably quiet and fairly inexpensive.
Old 03-19-2000, 09:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I've used the A509s in 60 and 50 series. In 60 they were OK, but a bit too much give in the sidewalls. Made for a softer ride, but quite a bit less feedback from the road. In 50 series they were a lot more communicative--I could actually feel what they were doing before they were done doing it, if you can see what I mean.

Went from those to AVS-i's in 50 series. They were similar, but better. They didn't last quite as long, though.

Went from those to Dunlop SP-8000s, also in 50 series. They seem to stick a bit better, but not last quite as long. They also get kinda greasy when they're worn most of the way down. Still, I liked them enough to buy them a second time.

--DD
Old 03-20-2000, 07:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via AIM to AlexO
I run the Pirelli P6000's 195/65R15 on my dad's Caviler. Much better than the P300's they replaced. The 6000's are great tires in the dry and exellent in the wet. But when I finally take the snows off my 914 I'll probably go with the Yoko AVS Intermidiate or the Bridgestone Potenza RE72. The Yoko is supposed to grip better in the dry while the Potenza should be a little better in the wet, and I drive the car daily so I'm willing to give up dry traction for peace of mind in the rain.
Old 03-21-2000, 10:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you are not doing any autocrossing, you have tons of options. I recently got a great deal on a tire made by Falken. They are called Ziex and are a z rated tire that has a wild directional tread pattern. They are wearing great and handle both wet and dry very well. I don't feel that they have the side wall thickness needed for autocross (I am still partial to Yokohama for that) but they have performed very well as a street tire on both the flared 914 (205&225/50/15) as well as on my older 911 (205/50/15). If they continue to wear as they have, I will definitely buy another set (less than 90.00/tire about a year ago).

[This message has been edited by S Schroeder (edited 03-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by S Schroeder (edited 03-21-2000).]
Old 03-21-2000, 12:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have been using 205/60/ZR15 Pirelli P6000'S
and have even autocrossed them! (They were not to bad!)The nice thing is that the P6000 are quite tall yet still stiff; so your highway RPM is nice and low while providing for good handling as well. They are a little more that others though.
Old 03-22-2000, 11:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: