Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gopack Send a message via Yahoo to gopack
A peek into the future

Well, I have been mostly lurking here, but I thought I would start sharing my experiences with you. I am getting my '72 ready for the body shop. Body mods will include repro steel flares, 916 style front and rear bumpers, and flared side skirts. I was going to look around for wheels for a while , but i decided on Fuchs after seeing this car.
Yikes
I got impatient this weekend, and taped on a couple of flares to see the effect and liked it so much that I thought I would post my pics.

looks like another 914-less summer, but next year should be great!

MARK

P.S. Any of you guys live in New Mexico? i could sure use some help and moral support sometimes! give me a buzz if you are in my neighborhood (northern New Mexico).

'72 914 work in progress
Old 05-03-2004, 07:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mark, I'm a day's drive away in Tucson. Bet I could talk my wife into a shopping trip to Santa Fe so I could check out your project one of these days. Heck, that would be a good weekend getaway trip for my 914 before it get's too hot.

Project looks good. So you're not getting out the MIG and body filler and do it yourself huh? Going to stay with yellow?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nope, i dont have that level of expertise, nor do i have that level of masochism. As much as i like yellow, my wife (who has never previously expressed any opinions on my teener) has requested black, so black it is. i may add a touch of red to the interior for color as well. All that is still in the fantasy stage!

'72 914 work in progress
Old 05-03-2004, 12:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, probably neither did I when I started off and that's what makes it fun learning (and buying new tools). But I know the feeling 'write a check so I can drive the damn thing'. Black looks great on these cars, but they get a little warm in southern AZ. You might be interested in these pics of a yellow 914 turned into a black one (plus a V8) done by Desert Hybrids here in Tucson - http://community.webshots.com/album/65782301XDrver
Old 05-03-2004, 01:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very cool! Will you be doing any engine upgrades? Suspension?
805-240-6931
Old 05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in Corrales and new to NM. I'm an hour away from you. Let me know if you want to kick tires. I also have a mig welder and a sawzall. I drink beer.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
I also have a mig welder and a sawzall. I drink beer
Isn't it usually: I drink beer...... I use sawzall.... uh oh... "Where's my mig?"
Old 05-04-2004, 06:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I thnk I will leave the engine the way it is till something breaks. It is a 2.0 with Dellorto carbs. I am doing a 5 lug conversion with 911 front struts and brakes, and in the back with the repro 914-6 stub axel and 911 hubs. strill trying to decide (90% decided) on sway bars, and new stiffer springs and torsion bars. also need to re-do all the seals and weather strips, and the interior, so there is lots to do and lots of $$$$ to spend.

AND by the way, not only do i drink beer, i also make my own! my other hobby i dont have time for. any time you want to come up and sample the brew de jour, send me an email, and ill put you to work!

'72 914 work in progress
Old 05-04-2004, 09:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Man, this is a friendship in the making. I brew beer too. I have a vanilla porter recipe that is simpley incredible. Email me at kpillote100@comcast.net.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Mark,

Welcome! Congrats on starting what will be a life-changing experience - or at least a wallet-changing experience.

I used to live in NM when I owned my previous 914. It was a white 76 2.0 with dual Delorto carbs. Not sure I'd want black (or even dark green) in NM, but she sure is perty!

Guys right about yellow. I've seen his, and I think if I ever get around to another it will be yellow. I can see it now - yellow with a tan leather interior, yellow dash front with black gauges, and yellow backing plates for center console.
Besides - aren't yellow cars faster? Seems I heard that somewhere.

Enjoy!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

well i love the yellow too, but wife (BOSS) thinksit is ugly. she is very adamant that this car looks dignified as i am getting old now. nothing flashy or hot .
i had a black car with no AC in dallas, and i found as long as the windows were open it was OK. just not going to go with vinayl seats!

'72 914 work in progress
Old 05-04-2004, 10:56 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Gopack, sound like you are going to have a very fun ride. Generous picks during the restomod would be greatly appreciated.......as well as mandatory.
805-240-6931
Old 05-04-2004, 10:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
gopack, do you work at "the Lab". my best but late friend worked there for many years and passed a year ago last Christmas. he was a P-car fan too, had an 83 944. Tom Armstrong?
73 914 2.0 #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 05-05-2004, 03:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I used to work at the "lab" but have moved on to a spin off buisness here in santa fe. the town is nothing more than a company town though, and you see alot of people you know where ever you go there. i'm sorry to hear of your freinds passing, but i did not know him.

'72 914 work in progress
Old 05-05-2004, 07:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Here's a recently finished yellow, flared, undiginfied one driven by a fellow old guy. www.syer.net My dignified colour would be silver.
Advice: Don't ever add up the cost, don't let the scope creep too much....
Enjoy the project. One thing about 914s - they're fundamentally so well thought out and so good once improved a bit, that they really grow on you making it easy to forget the cost.
Good luck!

Dave

Dave
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 05-07-2004, 09:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: