Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cheap leather online?

Hi folks,

I'm looking to reupholster my 914 seats and backpad, and was thinking about leather. The shop I took it to said they get charged $725 a skin (which I think is ~50sqft). They're open to me sourcing the material or telling them where to buy it. Reading through past posts it was mentioned that there are places to get automotive uph. leather for much cheaper (~$200 a skin/hide). Granted prices fluctuate and have probably gone up, but I kinda feel like $725 is a bit much and would love to find a better price. Anyone have some links, I searched google, but couldn't really find anything especially promising.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
Me personally wouldn't go for leather just because its too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and it dries and cracks in the sun when you don't drive with a top on.

Adam
Old 05-06-2004, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I picked up some overstock BMW "montana" leather on Ebay..
about $180 per hide. This leather is "micro-perferated" for seat use.

Nice stuff but you always take a chance on imperfections like improper storage causing folds, branding marks, and holes.

But for 180 vrs 725!!!!! Hmmm difficult decision....

Regards,
Rich Hilgersom

BTW:
I had one hide from Rich Leather Company that was barely worth it.
Too many holes and folds.

Ebay link to search black leather hide
http://search.ebay.com/black-leather-hide_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQsacategor yZQ2d1QQsbrftogZ1QQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsofocusZbsQQs orecordsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ2QQsosortpropertyZ 2

Last edited by Rich Hilgersom; 05-06-2004 at 08:16 AM..
Old 05-06-2004, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Hilgersom
[B]I picked up some overstock BMW "montana" leather on Ebay..
about $180 per hide. This leather is "micro-perferated" for seat use.
Thanks for the link and information, I looked on ebay, but the problem with the ebay and google searches is that I don't really know what the specs on the leather I should get are. What thickness, that sort of stuff. I clicked on the auction search link and one of the first items that popped up was for automotive hides, so that's helpful. Thanks for the link
Old 05-06-2004, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by auh
Me personally wouldn't go for leather just because its too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and it dries and cracks in the sun when you don't drive with a top on.

Adam
Well, I figure that the seats are all black vinyl, I dont' really expect the leather to be much hotter than that. Cracking might be an issue, but I'm sure I'll be pretty diligent in slathering on the Lexol to protect my investment. Good points though. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'd settle for finding a good quality vinyl... any ideas?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Can't vouch for them other than they have a large warehouse visible from I-94 in Minneapolis. (a few miles farther north on I-94 is a 914 on the top of a pole like a billboard!)

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/

Best of luck,

Fin
Old 05-06-2004, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'd heard that Mercedes vinyl was better in many respects than most leather.

Dave
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 05-07-2004, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

BTW $700 for a hide is nuts if its from a cow. Two different upholsterers locally quoted $250CDN as their cost - around $175US.

Dave
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 05-07-2004, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There are some vinyl materials on the market that by feel or touch, you would have a hard time distinguishing from leather. The upholstery shops here have these and I was amazed at how much they've improved vinyl. Down here in the southwest vinyl holds up better than leather. But the only way to protect any upholstery is with window film to block the sun's UV.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

leather is good, vinyl is OK, but please don't add to the plight of the naugas.
I'm sickened every time I think that those poor little animals are on the verge of extinction because people want to use their hides for seats.

Sorry, but I crack me up.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The samples I saw weren't made from the naugas, but unfortunately they still hunt them down here. It's a shame since they are almost as rare as the spotted owl. I forget the brand name of the material I was looking at, but it felt and flexed same as leather. The upholstery shop told me it was something new that came out, but he could have been blowing smoke up my a** for all I know and secretly made from those naugas. But I went with cloth on my seats as I think they're more comfortable in the heat.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

leather source

I found this place on the web. I recovered both seats for $100.
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm

Pritchard
Old 05-08-2004, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Any idea how many square feet to do the entire interior?

I have cloth seats and I would keep the seat cushions and back cloth, but I would love to get the door panels, dash face, seat sides and top and the rear of the car done in leather....

Door panel looks like about 6 sq feet each. Back pad would be about 15-20 sq feet.

Maybe 3 skins at 20 sq feet each?
Old 05-12-2004, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
anyone know how much would swade be? I'm making aluminum relica GT3 seats, and black swade would look awesome.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
suede may look good, but i don't think it would be very durable... for seats anyway...
Old 05-12-2004, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Really? A friend of mine has an '01 Audi S4 with suede in the center bottom and back cushion... tat2dphreak, do you have any experience with suede? Thanks, Don.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
hmm, I've always heard of suede as being less duarble, and absolutlely NOT resistant to any moisture... maybe the A4 has a faux suede that is more duarble.. .I dunno... if it were real suede, I would think it would have to be very thick(or backed with a stronger material) and treated to work...
who knows?!
Old 05-12-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Wow, I tuned out on this thread and it's blossomed.

The upholstery shop estimated that door panels and seats would be 1.5 skins. I didn't get an estimate for the backpad, but bought a total of 3 skins and figure this should cover it (probably an additional skin for the backpad). I believe this estimate included the having the seat inserts covered in leather.

The Audi S4 uses Alcantara which is a trademarked name for an Italian synthetic suede. It's something like 10X more wear resistant than a heavy denim. I was going to go with Alcantara, but ended up going with an ultrasuede which is a little bit thicker and more wear resistant than Alcantara. The upholstery shop estimated I need 2 yds at 54" wide to do the seat centers.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by red-beard
Any idea how many square feet to do the entire interior?

I have cloth seats and I would keep the seat cushions and back cloth, but I would love to get the door panels, dash face, seat sides and top and the rear of the car done in leather....

Door panel looks like about 6 sq feet each. Back pad would be about 15-20 sq feet.

Maybe 3 skins at 20 sq feet each?
1 skin/hide is 45-50 sq. feet.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: