Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
If all you are changing are the synchros, dogteeth, sliders, you are not affecting the depth.

If you change gears, the best thing to do is to measure the thickness of each gear and all the shims and the bearings, etc. Then, as you replace them, measure the new parts, subtract A from B and then add or subtract the metal shims. Keep the paper shims the same.

James
Old 05-20-2004, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Look in the factory manual.........

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Me no have factory manual....
The only change I made so far is swapping the 5th gear - I did measure it and the replacement is .001" thicker than the original. didn't change any shims as I assume they are much thicker so I probably wouldn't be expected to compensate for .001".... One big problem I have is that one of the gearboxes had been messed with in the past and I don't trust its current setup as a baseline.
Gotta get that manual....
Thanks, Dave
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 05-21-2004, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

You can assemble the tranny/diff bone dry with machinst's bluing on the ring and pinion teeth. After turning the trans and drive yokes both ways for a few revolutions, open up the side cover and check out the wear pattern. It it's at either end of eiher gear, you have some setting up to do. You don't have to torgue the drive yokes to do this, IIRC, but the intermediate plate must be torqued. If you can figure out which way. allow for some gasket sealer thinckness on the combo gaskets, although, obviously, you don't want to use much of the stuff and throw things way off.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Just wanted to thank everyone - the 'box works great, and for the price of the tools only - (save those old tailshifters!) The only problem I have is that it is a bit balky going into first - I think the slider/hub splines are worn and ather slider binds as it travels, I noticed that as I was reassembling it. No biggie.
Another thing I learned was that the 914/6 has a different speedo drive gear set - I presume for the 14" fuchs, so there is another way to get a more accurate speedo with the more commonly used 914 tire sizes. (smaller OD than stock.)
Thanks to all for the assistance, esp. James. Now, if we could only find a cheaper source for those bearings....

Dave "shifty" Syer
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 06-12-2004, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Congrats! Yeah. If 1st is a problem, you can always drop the big coinage and buy new parts. And you don't even have to remove the tranny from the car! Really easy repair.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
canna change law physics

Garage
Congrats!
Old 06-12-2004, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: