Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Bilstien Rear Bump Stops?

When putting on my Bilstiens I noticed the front insert instructions say to NOT use the rubber bump stops because there is an internal one. However I lost the instructions for the rear and was wondering if anyone knew weather or not I should use them on the back?

I did put them on, I figure it's easier to cut them out then it is to put them on.

BTW anyone else with 195/50/15's and 165lbs springs? In which grove did you put the snap ring?

Old 04-22-2000, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Come on guys. Someone help me.
Old 04-25-2000, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am 99% sure that when I asked Pelican when I purchased my set from them, they said that they do not use snubbers.
Old 04-25-2000, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The snap ring would be set so the car sets as level as you want it. I would set it in the middle, ride around the block and if it is nose-down, etc then move it. I bought a set of coil spring compressers at Harbor Freight for next to nothing and they make adjusting the ride height in the rear easy. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2000, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'll do my best to help ya here JP. As far as the bump stops go, I remember reading on Koni shocks to remove 2/3rds of the bumpstop. But those were Konis mind you so I am not sure on Bilsteins. Leaving them alone won't hurt anything, all leaving them out or cutting them down does is to give you a little more suspension travel, usefull if you autocross or your car is lowered.

Now for which groove to put the spring plate in is personal preference, all that does is adjust the rear ride height. Set it to were you want it and then set the front of the car about 1/2" lower. I've read that a good rear ride height is about 1.75 inches from the rim lip to the edge of the fender lip.

Hope that helps.

-Brent
Old 04-25-2000, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you measure from the lower mounting bolt hole of your old shocks to the spring plate and setthe new spring plate to about the same position, you will get about the same ride height. If you don't like your original height, adujust the plate accordingly, lower on the shock body, lower ride height

------------------
Harvey

Old 04-25-2000, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: