Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Weight Loss for Fiberglass body Panels?

I could not find the differences in weights, but I know someone must have a pretty close idea for these:
- Fiberglass doors, empty vs Two steel doors (73) with window mechanisms?

- Fiberglass hood, with headlight covering vs steel hood and two popup head light assemblies?

- Fiberglass trunk lid with pins vs steel trunk lid with hinges?

I already know the cost of the parts but I am curious how much weight I'd loose doing the above swaps? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can only guess because different glass parts don't weigh the same. My rear deck was heavy and the glass lid I looked at was 15 lbs. I'm guessing 30 lbs diff and the same for the front. My '73 non impact steel doors with nothing weighed little more than glass replacements. I'd think twice about that.

BTW, the roof is an area where you can save (and should) maybe 10 lbs.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The front and rear lids each weigh 30lbs. Typical fiberglass replacements weigh 10-15lbs, so 30lbs total for BOTH lids. Note that replacing the lids means you must lose the stock springs and use prop rods or just attach them with hood pins. The fiberglass front lids esp. will not tolerate the stock front springs w/o bending or cracking.

No idea on doors.

Removing the headlight motors and using "driving lights" as your headlights is an option, as long as you're not too worried about a cop with too little to do hassling you.

Front and rear (chrome) bumpers w/o the tits weigh 20-25lbs each, as I recall. Replacements are 5-10lbs each, depending on what you get.

Figure at most you're going to lose 100lbs going down this path, and could lose as little as 50. It's quite a bit of work, too, as the parts never fit exactly right and always need some fiddling.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, it is about what I expected. I guess I'll stay with the stock parts for now since the $$$$ I'd have to spend would be higher than the benefit.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

lapuwali, the rear deck only weighs 30 lbs? Man o' man, I am getting old. That mother seemed like a sack of potatoes to me (100#)
Old 07-05-2004, 04:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Try the treadmill and shave 20 lbs.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 07-05-2004, 06:46 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: