Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
FI connector to MPS

Well, now I may have really done it. I unplugged the four-pin FI connector to my manifold pressure sensor (MPS) one too many times today and 3 of the 4 white wires have broken off at the female plastic connector. Assuming I can find a replacement connector, how will I be able to figure out which of the four wires goes to which location in the connector block? Am I looking at $350 for a new FI wiring harness from RES Systems??
Old 06-03-2000, 04:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Look close at the white wires, you should see red, blue, or black numbers. Now on the MPS clean the black plastic that the connector plugs into and you should see some numbers there. "7 8 10 15" is what I got off my 72 harness and MPS the numbers on the harness corispond with the numbers on the harness.

I bought replacement connectors at NAPA. Ask to see their "Echlin" FI connectors assortment box. They sell the 2,3, and 4 pin connectors with the pins and 4" pig tail ends.

I would solder and shrink wrap the connectons rather than butt-splice them. Splicing could cause a problem down the road that would be damn near impossible to track down.
Old 06-03-2000, 08:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The connector bodies and the metal "pins" that go inside are also avaliable from Beck-Arnley Worldparts. They are a pretty sizeable auto parts distributor, and are carried by a number of FLAPS.

I have posted the part numbers before.

--DD
Old 06-03-2000, 09:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the tips. After a frustrating search for a new connector, I finally removed the pins (they look like miniature female spade connectors) from my old one, soldered new wire pigtails on them and then pushed them back into the connector. Although I did not find any numbers or lables on the four wires from the harness, I got lucky when I identified the two wires going to the outer pins on the connector (they were just a tad longer). Then by trial and error I was able to correctly match the two remaining wires to the two "inner" pins of the connector block.
Old 06-10-2000, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
They are indeed female spade connectors. The are pretty close to 1/8", female, barbed. If you can get the metric size (3mm or 4mm, I forget which one), it fits better than the SAE 1/8" ones.

The B-A ones seem to work well.

--DD
Old 06-12-2000, 11:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: