Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Lightbulb Can a car fatigue out?

I've recently completed a series of re-torquing, re-tighteming, re-glueing, and re-fixing lots and lots of things on my 914. It has made for a much tighter, quieter vehicle.
I wondered as I (re-)did all these things if I didn't do it right the first time, but I know I always used locktite if called for and torqued to required specs if available.
So it got me to thinking (ouch!). Does a car have a limited number of road hours before it becomes over-stressed too easily? How many times can I wrench that thing down before the bolt or the nut or the plate or the (fill in blank) no longer is strong enough to hold the load?
I know there are some aviation mechanics and experts on this board, along with thousands of years of experience (and thats just Jake ). Whaddayathink folks? Will they last forever if we are dedicated enough?

My gallery page
Old 11-10-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, the parts will fatigue out. I don't know how you'd check for that, though. You can do something about it if you want to pour enough time and money and effort into the car.

All cars get "looser" with age. Convertibles and hatchbacks seem to show it the most, as they have large open areas with no structure to brace them. My 1990 CRX, for instance, now creaks in the back when I turn to go up a driveway. I believe the chassis is flexing slightly, and that this is mostly due to fatigue.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-10-2004, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
cage 'er up!
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
At my company, we have a corporate plane and (by regulation) the engine is completely dissembled and all parts are x-rayed every certain amount of flight hours.

Of course, the regulations for aircraft are very strict because you can just "pull over" when something goes wrong.

I suspect that everything has a shelf life - but with a little tlc every now & then, our 914's should outlast the owners (okay, maybe a lot of tlc).

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: