Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

lost my ignition key how do i rekey the ignition tumbler , just like the doors?

thanks, oh the black key is for the ignition the red one handles all of the other locks
Old 11-13-2004, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Take all the lock cylinders to a lock smith who can do auto locks for a rekey.
The black key is the owners key and works all locks. The red key is the valet key and only works the doors and the ignition and doesn't work on the glove box nor open the trunks.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-13-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The ignition tumbler is sealed by two round posts that are pressed tight against the housing.

So the choices are.

1. A locksmith who can make a key given only the lock.

2. File off the two posts, rekey it yourself like the doors. Assemble the lock and give the end a quick weld over the two posts. File and fit the weld so it slides back in the ignition.

I did option 2...fun...ohh...good times....

-Rich Hilgersom
Old 11-15-2004, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Can you (or somebody else) elaborate on step #2? I am contemplating taking out my ignition tumbler to re-key it, but I don't want to start taking it apart if it's something that will end up being a big mess.

My situation is this: the only key that I have is extremely worn but still works on the ignition and all the other locks. I have a brand new pair of keys that came with a new trunk lock that I obtained. Rather than getting a key cut to match the worn one, I'd like to re-key all the locks (including the ignition) to the new keys that I have.

Does this seem feasible? Or should I just get a key cut to match the worn one that I have?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just about everyones keys have been worn down by now

Mine were also very worn, the locksmith was able to cut a new key from it with no problems.

Your best bet is to remove the ignition tumbler and take it with you to the locksmith.

The locksmith I went to would gaurantee it would work IF you bought one of their blanks (about $6).

Then you can buy the OEM key (with the logo) with the confidence it can be cut correctly.

The trunk lock is easy to rekey with some spare locks or just take it to the locksmith.

STEP 2 details.

1. Remove the tumbler from the steering column

2. File down the two small pressed in posts carefully untill they are just flat with the back plate. (this is the part that matesinto the ignition switch to turn it.)

3. Clean and rekey the lock with some spares or a locksmith.
Keep track of all those small springs.
Radio Shack has some nice whitish/clear grease that stays in
place and does not attrack dust.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F001%5F006%5F000&product%5Fid=64%2D2326

4. Reassemble and place the back plate back on.

5. Test fit the key and leave it in for alignment.

6. Make two very small tack welds on each post that you filed off.
I dont think it matters that the welds cover the entire post perfectly. You just dont want it to be able to move.

7. With a very small flat file, reform the welds so they will clear the mating part in the ignition switch. It helps to aquire an old dead switch for this part.

8. Put the tumbler back in and give it a go!

-Rich Hilgersom

Last edited by Rich Hilgersom; 02-03-2005 at 09:23 AM..
Old 02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
IGTARD

Oh no! Lost ALL keys. Doors locked. Now what?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

bent coathanger wires, and wooden pry bars can be used to gain access to the rear top latches, you may need to lower the window first, using the wire to loop around the window crank handle. I can usually get into a 914 in ten minutes using these tools, but I have had some practice.

other option is to call a tow company and ask them to send a guy with a break in kit, he may do it the same way I have, just make sure he does no damage.

Once in, maybe you will be lucky and find your keys inside.

If all the locks are the same, and you have no key still, once inside, remove the outer door handle and take it to a lock smith to make a key for it. then your golden.

good luck
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: