Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Compufire vs Ignitor

Which is better compu-fire or ignitor electronic ignition? How is the installation of ignitor in terms of adjustments.......?? Anyone had experience with these?

All opinions welcome!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The ignitor fits really easily, but you must be sure to specify for the right distributor: stock, 009, or 050. I have no experience with compu-fire. Ther really is no adjustment capacity at all. Its like points- on or off based on the location of the distributor relative to the crankshaft... or would it be the camshaft? Well I guess it doesn't matter.

My gallery page
Old 11-14-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When I had the big four in my race car I used a Compufire unit and never had any problems. I have had one in my daughter's 74 2.0L for 6 years and never had a problem with it.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

John, I've had the Compufire for about 3 years with no problems until now. The ground wire going into the module broke off and doesn't look like it can be sodered. I'm away at school(914=only car) and walked to the nearest auto parts store to get a set of points and condensor for a temporary fix. Put them in and smoked the condensor wire b/c I evidently grounded it out by not mounting it. Can this mean the condensor is cooked/bad? Is it possible that I shorted something else while cranking the engine and grounding the condensor wire?

According to the Ignitor description on the website it says it puts out more to the plugs especially with a high-output coil. Any idea?

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
did you let the magic smoke out?
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 11-14-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure if I let the magic smoke out but it didn't smell too magical. I almost got a chance to use the fire exstinguisher I've been driving around with for 5 years.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: