Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Seat Belt Replacement

Hello All
My 73 914 2.0 needs new seat belts. Does anyone have any suggestions on suitable replacements?
Thanks, Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
944 belts work, but you need to remove or narrow down the locating pin. I am told that some Rabbit belts are the same as the 944 ones, and work if you do the same mod.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-16-2004, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Seat Belt replacement

Hi Dave
Thanks for the reply. Is there a source for "new" belts, or a company that refurbishes them??
Thanks, Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, but I don't know what it is. I don't know if we have access to that info. Rich Bontempi over at High Performance House in Redwood City CA is buying new belts and having them converted over to the old mechanisms by another shop. Total cost is something like $200. Apiece.

--DD

Old 11-16-2004, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The belts retrackting mechanism can be improved noticably byy sponging with soapy water then rinsing well (I pulled mine out all the way and held the belt tight outside the car while I sponged and rinsed with a spray bottle). Dry with a towel and keep it stretched out overnight or use a blow-dryer or both, then spray really well with scotchguard. Worked womders for mine.

My gallery page
Old 11-16-2004, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Scott....

Do the belts actually retract now with your soapy cleaning technique? My belts kind of start retracting then kind of give up when they are half way retracted. What is the purpose for the Scotchgard? Do you spray the entire belt?

Last edited by smooth_eddy; 11-16-2004 at 06:59 PM..
Old 11-16-2004, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

HEYA
Wish I knew about the soapy water deal when I bought my car - I pulled the whole dealio apart and needed 100 hands to get the spring rewound and back in the unit.
Remember those fake peanut cans, that when you open take the top off, a giant springy snake leaps out and scares you bald?
I was happy to just get it all back together.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Use a large binder clip to hold the belt in its extended position when you wash it.

--DD

Old 11-17-2004, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, dave. I used a spring clamp also. The scotchguard makes the material slide on top of itself more easily. When you pull out the belt you will see that it has taken a set so that one side is tight but the other is wrinkly and winds into a bigger roll (or at least tries to) when the belt winds up. The belt will regain a little of it's original uniformity while it dries stretched out. I pulled mine out tight with a bungee cord through the clasp. The scotchguard will help it not bind up as it reels in. I guess the spring might get tired, but I think it is the load of the edges hanging on the mechanism that stops up the spool thing. The scotchguard helps the belt slide away when its edges hang.

My gallery page
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mike,
www.peparts.com sells replacements. I just ordered one ,so I don't have any feedback about it yet. They're $150 a piece(there's a $75 core for the connector. I don't know if this is included in or in addition to the $150)

Aaron
Old 11-17-2004, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Aaron
Thanks for the info. Please let me know what you think of the belt.
Thanks, Mike
Old 11-17-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Just to clarify, just stretching the belts out and cleaning the belts (not the innards of the housing) will help them retract better? Do we nee to spray any kind of lube in the housing? Just checking, this could be a good winter project. Thanks.
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 11-18-2004, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
It can help, but it won't necessarily help. Sometimes the ratchet and/or spring are the parts that are causing problems. And those are a pain to deal with--particularly the spring. (It's under quite a bit of tension, and has very sharp edges. Been there, done that, got the scars on my hands...)

--DD

Old 11-18-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, this is worth a try though, since i'll have time this winter when not driving it...might as well make it as good as can be right?
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 11-19-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I was able to replace the belts in my '72 with ones from a vanagon from a junkyard. Simple bolt in affair and less than $40.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: