Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rolling Fenders - Urban Legend?

Saw a mag. article today that said rolling fenders with a baseball bat is a urban legend and that it doesnt work. Please tell me it does, because I am realy counting on it. I am sure I recall that some of you guys swear by it. My car is in primer so I certainly cant hurt the paint . Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm sure it's been used. I think the trick is to make sure to roll it through without stopping. It's basically a poor man's way of doing it. Pro shops use tools like this:
Old 11-18-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Forget the baseball bat, I used a front shock which worked great! Its metal against metal so go slow but I pulled out the rear and front fenders so the new AX tires would fit right.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It does work. I actually used different sizes of PVC pipe
and other softer wood because it was available. Roll along
the tire.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Re: Rolling Fenders - Urban Legend?

Quote:
Originally posted by peter carroll
Saw a mag. article today that said rolling fenders with a baseball bat is a urban legend and that it doesnt work. Please tell me it does, because I am realy counting on it. I am sure I recall that some of you guys swear by it. My car is in primer so I certainly cant hurt the paint . Thanks
what mag. ??? must be written by a bunch of idiots that have never worked on a car before

I've actually had best luck using a sledge hammer and different thickness pieces of wood to "massage" the rear wheel openings for my 16x7 phonedials

I too have heard that "pro"-style tool works great, not too sure how well it would work on the rear fenders of a 914...the fenders taper in once you get past the middle of the well (looking from the top of the car)...it's the rear section of the rear fenders that cause the problems with rubbing mostly....
Old 11-18-2004, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Concentric and I did it on his 74...

Of course it works... Hot rodders have been doing this for 50 years... Solid 4 inch thick aluminum baseball bat vs. a couple mm thick sheet steel.. Who wins?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Urban legend my ass. I did it too; you should have seen the bondo some prior owner left me pop off.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: Re: Rolling Fenders - Urban Legend?

Quote:
Originally posted by mike mueller
I too have heard that "pro"-style tool works great, not too sure how well it would work on the rear fenders of a 914...
That tool no doubt wouldn't fit on a 914 without an adapter, and like you say probably wouldn't roll the desired area on a 914 anyway. I was mainly trying to show there are tools more sophisticated than a baseball bat. But as we all know, sometimes the simplest of tools and techniques work the best.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wink

I'll chime in here and also say that the "baseball bat" technique definitely can work. A friend of mine who ran his Honda in ITC would jack up his car, stick the bat between the tire and the fender then drop the car. "Ooops! The car fell off the jack! Darn it!", then he'd do it again. "Ooops! How did that happen!?! Darn it!", then again, and again...

The joke here is that fender flares are not allowed, but if the car just keeps falling off that pesky jack...

I have 225/45-15 tires on 8" wide rims under my rear fenders after a little massaging with the "fenderizer". The same size wheel and tire fits under the stock front fenders just fine.

Fenderization:

2x4 with rounded off end.
Lift car
Mount desired wheel/tire combo.
Insert fenderizer between tire and fender, rounded end UP.
Lower car till fenderizer is pinched in snug, but not tight.
Press end of fenderizer down as far as you can.
Repeat.

Make sure to move the 2x4 fore and aft often. Don't repeat at a given spot untill you've done the full fender, then repeat all over. The result, a nicely blistered fender that is over an inch wider than stock. Minimal paint problems at all.

On mine, the paint cracked, but I think it was because I wasn't patient and I did it outside when it was kindof cold. If you do it when the paint is nice and warm, you might avoid the cracking all together.

-Josh2
Old 11-19-2004, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Any body have pics of this process Thanks I'm a visual kind of guy
Old 11-19-2004, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I cant wait to get started! Thanks and I will try to find the name of the magazine. Pete
Old 11-20-2004, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Peter, if your car is in primer, why bother with the bat? Take a 2 foot piece of 1/8 welding rod and bend it to fit the arch of the wheel opening. Lay it up on the top side of the lip and take a nice wide face hammer and beat the lip up 90* using a piece of heavy steel or body dolly as backing on the outside. The rod will keep the lip from being folded over on itself so you will have a nice edge but maximum tire clearance.

It's hard to get as nice of job with a bat. If a car is painted, you probably shoudn't beat on it with a hammer. But, I've done that too using a piece of Nylon between my dolly and the paint. Going slow and not missing (LOL), it can be done.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It was Hot Rod Magazine where I saw the article. Does the process only make the horizontal lip vertical or can you actually make the fender bulge out a bit? Thanks, Pete
Old 11-21-2004, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It can do either--depends on how you do the job.

As was mentioned already, it's a great way to find any bondo in your fenders... It'll crack and fall out.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-21-2004, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Here are 225 X 45 X 15s on 7 inch wheels.
I didn't do this just for the hell of it, but because that's what I needed to get the things under there at full suspension compression. The static ride height is about 4.75, doughnuts to ground at both ends. Also needed 7 mm spacers in the rear to keep the tiar off the inner fender...I run -2 deg camber at both ends. I ain't much for the jacked 4X4 look. ......

A test fit of the tire wheel combo prior to the flare. See, it "fits"....you just can't turn the wheel. .......

A test fit of a 9 X 23 X 15 cantilever slick on 7s. It "fits" , but it don't .....tires flex , but what the hell. .......
Old 11-21-2004, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

oops, the first pic is wrong. ....try this. ......
Old 11-21-2004, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

PICS

http://quickhonda.net/fenderRolling.htm

The metal setup above in 914GT's post is $224

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C503%2C504%2C514&KickerID=63&KICKER

-Rich Hilgersom

Last edited by Rich Hilgersom; 11-22-2004 at 10:03 AM..
Old 11-22-2004, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Proof! From reputible people.
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-22-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Well, I reconnize the guy in the middle... Glenn Sager of the D&G swap meets. That looks like his shop in SB, too. Mikey, are you one of the other two in the pic there?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-22-2004, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: