Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

headlights/suspension bushings

Has anybody played with trying to move the headlights into the turnsignal pillars? Looking at the size of the turnsignal tub, there seems to be enough room to install a modern headlight element. Getting rid of the popup headlights would save a lot of weight and complexity.

Also, since the car is at the completely stripped stage, I'm looking at the suspension. Are the harder bushings worth the time/money/effort for a fast/fun road car? Any input on which bushings work out best?

Thanks,
Kevin Mott
OKC, OK
Old 11-25-2004, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
R.O.C.S. Auto Inc.

The "harder" bushings are an improvement but be ready for some squeaking.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

I'm considering buying the Elephant Racing PolyBronze Suspension Bearings .
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

if you realy want you can put some driving lights in the stock fog light position

i did it in my 75

heres a link to pics: late bumpers and fog lites
Old 11-26-2004, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Kevin,

The headlights i would leave alone, they work. Any "modern" headlight that would fit in there would be the Xenon lights, which are quite costly. Fog lights would fit, but cops would probably harrass you. Its more hassel than its worth IMHO.

As for the bushings, it again depends on how much you want to spend. The polygraphite bushings are only $50, and are the simplest way to go. I have never had good luck with these, they always end up binding and making noises. I'm going to go with the poly bronze bushings Elephant makes. I think they are $250. Then theres the roller bearing ones for $400. From an engineering standpoint, they are the best solution. I just don't want to dissasemble the suspention every-so-often to clean them from any grit that can get in them.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I installed ureathane bushings about 2 years ago. I greased them before installing and I have had no squeaking. However, I have read that they will periodocally need re-greasing or they will begin to squeak.

Changing the bushings was fairly easy but the old rubber bushings had to be burnt out with a hand torch.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Suspension bushings: The concensus seems to be that the GPR bushings with 100lb springs are the best compromise (with the stock torsion bars) between a smooth road car and a rock solid Autocrosser. There's a set of black Delrin bushings laying around the shop but the squeaking and harsh ride descriptions are a bit negitive. The compromises of a dual purpose car.

Headlights: One of the reasons for thinking about the mod. was smaller/lighter/simpler systems. I like the idea of mounting driving lights in the fog light position (as an aside, what's the difference between a fog light and a driving light?. Again, there's two or three sets of fog lights(?) laying around the shop but if there's a better solution to lighting up the road...) but the local constabulary probably woudn't like the headlights that low. Putting a xenon bulb in seemed like a good mod if the focusing issue could be solved and a lens could be sourced. Has anybody looked at an MR2 headlight bucket to see how close in size it is to the turn signal bucket?

This could go on the same project shelf as the underdash fuel gauge made from an original gauge.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The primary difference between fog lights and driving lights is the lens. Fog lights are designed to throw light in a wide pattern for a short distance; driving lights are designed to throw light a long distance in a narrow pattern.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-04-2004, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I put delrin bushings in another car I had and it turned it into a bone shaker. One reason the headlights are up higher in cars is to shine down onto the road, not up into other driver's eyes. But I think putting elongnated 911 style headlights in the turn signal buckets is an interesting idea.

My gallery page

Last edited by SGB; 12-04-2004 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-04-2004, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it just came to my attention.

PolyBronze is kinda new for the 914 since we've just recently introduced the product for 914 trailing arms, complementing the front A arm product.

They've been the hot ticket for 911s for the past couple years.

Check this thread to see what the 911 guys say about PolyBronze Bearings. Page 2 has some good discussion about the problems inherent with needle bearings, and why PolyBronze is a technically superior design.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: